Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two rabbits out of a breeding that I never processed they are about 6 months old now. I have tried looking at "the goods" but can never 100% tell. Is there a way besides throwing them in with the buck and waiting 30 days for them to kindle?

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I think maybe I was trying to sex them to early. I will give that a try, hopefully I will have some replacements does instead of bucks :)

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I tried once to tell sexes on several litters at a few days old and had just a few mistakes out of several litters. Sexing can be done pretty darn young, but those I didn't consider accurate because it's very hard to tell. Generally speaking I was sexing litters at 4 weeks old if I cared to take the time, but always at 6 weeks old when I was weaning litters. (most of the time I had no reason to care what sex they were before weaning, but I liked to know for potential sales/keepers at weaning). You can tell sexes MUCH earlier than 6 months with extreme accuracy, especially around/after 6-8 weeks of age. google pictures of sexing rabbits. Lots of good resources out there.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried looking under the cages yesterday and didn't see much, maybe they are both does. It's still in the 80s here in Texas so, they shouldn't be drawed up too much LOL. I will try to examine further this week, I hate that the days are getting shorter, doesn't leave me much time other than weekends. Thanks a bunch guys/gals.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
It's easy to tell Bucks from Does on day 1, then it gets almost impossible until they are around 8 to 10 weeks, some even longer. But at 6 months it should be real obvious by feel without looking.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
It's easy to tell Bucks from Does on day 1, then it gets almost impossible until they are around 8 to 10 weeks, some even longer. But at 6 months it should be real obvious by feel without looking.
Hey Spinner, I never even try to sex mine till they are about 3 weeks old---then I usually sex them so I will be able to advertise them(pre-sell). I never had a problem sexing them at 3 weeks and older.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Practice, look at photos, practice, look at photos, practice, lol.

Here's how I explain it to folks that I am selling rabbits to- a taco is a girl, a taquito is a boy. :) The more who-who's you look at, eventually it will "click" and you will get it right pretty much every time.

Early on I was intimidated by handling the rabbits when they kicked or moved around too much (I'm a wuss) so that made it more difficult. Keep looking, you'll just get it one day like magic.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I got a pair of New Zealand Blacks this fall. Bread them and the six kits are now 11 weeks old. I sexed them two different times. I think I got all girls. Is that even probable?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I sexed some three-week-old kits today (very new to this)and kept finding "girls." I thought, "Is that possible?"

Then I went back to the website that explained it and it finally clicked how to do it right and I got 5 boys and 4 girls. The boys look like girls until you push a little harder and get their little package to pop out further. Once you do this a few times, it is really clear if it's a boy or a girl. On the girl, you can never get anything to pop out more prominently.

Here's a link:

file:///C:/Users/Vicki/Desktop/Sexing%20Rabbits.%20How%20to%20tell%20male%20rabbits%20from%20female%20rabbits.html

The key for me was how they explained to hold the bunny on its back in your lap or in one hand, the bunnies head pointing toward your body and the tail end pointing away from you. Hold their tail with the first two fingers of the other hand and push down with your thumb on the vagina or penis area. You might have to push pretty hard, but if it's a boy, the penis will extend upward and out from what looks a slit, just like the vagina of the little girl. The top of the penis has a perfectly round hole, very unlike the slit of the vagina of the girl. If a girl, the vagina won't change much, it will look like a slit and will remain looking that way. If you don't put on enough pressure to make the boys "pop out" they will look quite a bit like the girls.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
The boys look like girls until you push a little harder and get their little package to pop out further.
I never use enough pressure to "pop" out the males part. I just look at the Hole. I use little to no/gentle pressure. I am about 100% accurate at around 3 weeks of age---I never try to sex them any earlier---I have no need to know any earlier if I did---I would Check them out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts