Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a certain kind of thread that I should be using when making things with fleece? My son wants me to make him a face mask. I made his comforter for his bed out of fleece a year or so ago, and it seems like there isn't enough "give" in the thread...like when the fleece stretches, the thread breaks. Any tips for me?

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
First - use a good thread, I use Sulky, metrosene, the maxilock serger thread, I don't use Coats and Clark. Though their new stuff looks better.

When I sew something that stretches, a tiny narrow zigzag is what I use instead of the straight stitch. This works for lycra for skating outfits, and should work okay for your polar fleece.

Angie

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ditto on the small zigzag for sewing fabric with give. I use a small zigzag for tricot and interlock for lingerie. I would probably try a longer stitch length and a little stitch width for fleece. I would test with some samples, using various combinations of stitch length and width to see which allowed the amount of give I wanted. Same with a sweater knit.

Gutermann's long staple polyester thread is what I buy lately - if I can get the color I need. Or Metrosene. Coats and Clark Dual Duty is cotton wrapped polyester. Sometimes it seems to fray.

Let us know what you decide to use and how it works for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts