Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your links to gift ideas and tutorials to this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Travel sewing kits. I used 3 pieces of plastic canvas for the insides so it'd hold its form, padding, and a durable canvas or bluejean material. I purchased a real cheap little sewing kit at Walmart that includes threads, scissors, threader, needles, measuring tape; sewed a strip of elastic to hold the threads in place, sewed strips of material to attach safety pins of various sizes to, and strips plus a little pocket for the tip of the scissors.

It folds in thirds and I sewed a tie to keep it closed.

Quilted coaster sets. I think they are pretty self explanatory.

Lace wicker basket. This is easy to make with a glue gun and some pretty lace, flowers and ribbons.

Fold up cloth baskets. I first saw something like this in a gift shop and thought how nice this would be to hold hot bread/buns for a meal, but I really liked the fact that it stores flat. I used plastic canvas again for the bottom and the 4 sides.

Book markers. I use an elastic type thread - just because it's what I have on hand. I superglue the knots after tying them. I think they're neat because you can hold the beads (like those worry stones) while reading if you like, and have a lovely book marker for when you need to put the book down for awhile.

Scented Hot Pad. I used 3 chambers which I filled with apple/cinnamon scented potporri to place hot pots onto. It protects the table and countertop surfaces.

The apron was just another gift going to the same recipient and therefore in the same picture.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Quilted placemats.

I've been making Christmas tree ornaments for family members for several years. Here's some Victorian ornaments I made from instructions in the book to the left of the picture.

and these can either be made from paper doillies or crocheted doillies, stringed beads, ribbons and flowers.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Shepherd, I'm very impressed with all of your work. I'll look for such patterns and leaflets now, they should be at bargain prices if there's any left. I also have leftover and used ribbons and cording, which would be great for the ornaments. Oh, and I've always just filled the hot pads with whole cloves, they give off a wonderful scent.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Thanks Lynn. I will post more pics of other things as time goes by. Thanks for the whole cloves tip on the hot pads. I'll bet that really smells nice.

Nana - thanks for that link - I love the Heartwarmers! I might just have to make some of those for gifts this year they're so cute.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I just received a note from a freind. She received one with cherry pits. Told me it has held up well. Another idea.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i make aprons, but i've only done the bib type. I want the kind grandma walton wore and can't find it anywhere. I've looked at that tipnut site and not there either. I did find something similar called an edwardian apron. maybe just shorter.

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
http://needyl.com/operation-domestication/t-shirt-tote-bag-tutorial

I found this easy tote bag tutorial and thought I'd share. Most of my t-shirts become rags but I might be able to save a couple just for this project or find some "perfect" shirts during the summer at yard sales. This tote bag would be easy to wash, easy to fold up and store in the glove box of my car. I think these would be great gifts!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts