Sewing Machine Recommendation

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, May 28, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

In a nutshell I can't find men's shorts the length I like to wear. Waaaaaay to long and baggy. If I buy regular length it costs a small fortune to have them cut down and hemmed. What would would be a good, relatively inexpensive, relatively idiot-proof sewing machine for doing cuffs through denim?

Ken Scharabok

2. jessimeredith

jessimeredith That's relativity. Supporter

I gotta chime in with mine!

I got a Brother LS-2125 from Wally world a last year. Even though it isn't a workhorse machine like I should have, it's held up VERY well. Very idiot proof, imo and relatively inexpensive. Think it's running about $78 right now here.

3. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I bought mine at a tag sale for $5 and it works well for hemming etc. It is just a plain Singer with no fancy stitches except for zigzag but is good enough and works well for all the things I have to do with it. I've had it for a couple of years now and it doesn't owe me a penny.

4. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Used Bernina 830 off of ebay. Should cost about $400.00, but is the finest home sewing macine ever built and will last forever. Best stitch quality in the industry. Most were made in late 60's and early-mid 70's, are still as good as new and will never lose their resale value. Can't say that about junk from Walmart or Sears, or whereever.

Second choice woiuld be a Newhome or a Janome, butthat is a new machine and not nearly the quality.