Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does menopause diminish one's IQ? Does anyone else in menopause notice they have difficulties finding words, or remembering things?

I'm frustrating myself a lot these days. I can't sew anything. Yesterday I decided to surprise hubby with a new bathrobe, got out the pattern I normally use for him, and for the life of me (even after sleeping on it) I can't follow the instructions. For a BATHROBE!

You can only rip polar fleece out so much before it's ruined, which it is. And I still can't figure out the instructions.:eek:

If you think I'm kidding about the IQ, I got to wondering about my apparent lack of intelligence lately :D and so I took one of those online IQ tests. I scored TWENTY EIGHT POINTS less than my normal score. !!!!! No one ever said menopause causes retardation. LOL

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
i'm afraid it's part of it. last week, someone asked me what road i live on and it took a couple minutes to remember. it's frustrating and embarassing.

·
HomesteadHopefuls
709 Posts
and here I thought I was the only one on this island::stars:(LOL)
sorry your having probs...
but have a lil' confidence girl,,you do awesome sewing
cut your self some slack,,step away from it, go do something else
bake some new recipe,,or take a walk in the fresh air,,
it'll come to you.:sing:

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thank heavens I'm not alone! It is funny, but then again it ISN'T! I forget things like what road I live on too! Or what year it is... but I can live with that stuff. But when I can't follow simple instructions, now that's freaking me out, LOL.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I find myself zoning out while reading instructions, doing things the hard way when I know the shortcut, measuring several times but still cutting wrong, etc. Some days it seems like I'm working in slow motion.

My question is, does it ever get better?!?

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
I had to laugh when I read your subject title because I've been there, done that. I find whenever I'm tired and haven't had enough sleep, my thinking is not as clear. I just took a safe driving course for seniors, because I find myself daydreaming too much when I drive. Now that is scary.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
When I was younger I hardly ever read the pattern instructions. I just looked through the pictures and started. But if I did need to read the instructions I had to read them outloud. I could not process them if I read them without hearing them. I have even had to have my husband read it out loud to me.

I'm not menopausal yet and I am certain I wasn't at 20. I think it is just how some of them are written. Or, maybe it is how I read.

But, its not just you and it is not just your time of life!

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Oh, I hope it gets better. I've been 'finished' for two years and it still happens to me.

The other night I couldn't work the remote. DH had gone to bed leaving a monster movie blaring (I don't even stay in the room for that stuff), so I'm trying my best to work the remote. I'm pointing it straight, double check I've pressed the 'right' button. I know I could just hit the button on the tv, but I should be able to work a remote control. Finally, in frustration (which also happens a lot more often too) I 'slightly' slammed the remote down on the desk. I immediately picked it back up to check for damage - it wasn't even the remote! I had been trying to turn the tv off with the cordless phone!

I scare myself sometimes.

Halo

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
When I was younger I hardly ever read the pattern instructions. I just looked through the pictures and started. But if I did need to read the instructions I had to read them outloud. I could not process them if I read them without hearing them. I have even had to have my husband read it out loud to me.

I'm not menopausal yet and I am certain I wasn't at 20. I think it is just how some of them are written. Or, maybe it is how I read.

But, its not just you and it is not just your time of life!
That's about how you process information. There's a whole facinating study about, which I can't remember the name of.lol

I'm just the opposite, you can read instructions or spell words to me all day long, and I can't understand it unless I see it. But I also remember information the same way - where it was on the page I read it, how far into the book, etc.

Halo

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMG LOLOLOLOLOL you are SO me! :D:D:D

Oh, I hope it gets better. I've been 'finished' for two years and it still happens to me.

The other night I couldn't work the remote. DH had gone to bed leaving a monster movie blaring (I don't even stay in the room for that stuff), so I'm trying my best to work the remote. I'm pointing it straight, double check I've pressed the 'right' button. I know I could just hit the button on the tv, but I should be able to work a remote control. Finally, in frustration (which also happens a lot more often too) I 'slightly' slammed the remote down on the desk. I immediately picked it back up to check for damage - it wasn't even the remote! I had been trying to turn the tv off with the cordless phone!

I scare myself sometimes.

Halo

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
the scary thing is when you are driving down the road and forget where you're going! I've learned I have to make lists or I can't remember what I need when I finally make it to the store.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I thought it was only me. I am making a 18th century bedjacket. Made many... Did a beautiful job of pleating the back Nice, even etc. Well it WAS THE BOTTOM of the jacket........ Had to rip out, press and pray this didn't mess up. This is WOOL fabric...... So I guess we will get through this. SOON I hope..........

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
That's about how you process information. There's a whole facinating study about, which I can't remember the name of.lol
This website, www.VARK-learn.com has a questionaire you can take that tells you your learning style. It's very interesting!

I know I'm a visual learner, and I have to see pictures, but it sure doesn't help remembering things like what year it is!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
uhm,,, yes... I resemble that remark!!!

It has yet to affect my sewing, but did sneak in on my knitting a week or two ago.. I had to rip out and restart something 5 !!!!! times... sigh....

It mostly affects my ability to not get sidetracked on the day to day housework and I come up 'missing' words....

sigh,
dawn

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
Well, if any of you have kids my sister claims to have read an article in Reader's Digest of an actual condition called momnesia LOL She claims that's what she has..she's so forgetful and scatterbrained sometimes it's kinda scary!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought 10 more yards of fleece today (robe for each of us) at Hobby Lobby, it's still 30% off. I'm using a DIFFERENT pattern :D this time (kwik sew 3263 (me) 3266 (him) and I THINK I can follow these directions, they look idiot proof. They'll need to be. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
CJ, I am sitting here laughing because I went through the very same thing about a year ago. In fact, I have a quilt I made during that dysfunctional time that I call my Menopause Misery Quilt. This quilt is such a mish mash, I was so embarassed by it I threw it in a bag and hid it!
Hang in there. Read your directions slowly and often. Measure twice and cut once. LOL!
grandma chicken
aka Karen in NE Indiana

1 - 20 of 32 Posts