Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That doesn't work well! Mitzie stole my ripper. Then she stole my small scissors. Next it was my Fray-Check. The thread on the serger got pulled all over the room. My pattern got ripped. The small pin cushion disappeared. <Sigh>.

Did you know that kittens find those long handled Swifters irresistible? They are soft and seem to flirt with kitties until they pounce on them. Kitties also like to shred them. <Sigh>

Pens on Roger's desk get taken downstairs or hidden in unlikely spots like shoes and slippers. <Roger is about ready to put her in a closet>.

Water is fun to play in for kitties. We have one of those fountain thingies for their water and Mitzie loves to play and get her feet wet. The only problems is that she likes to wipe them on the inside of my slippers. <Oy, what a disgusting feeling when I put my feet in them>.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
T.S. Eliot knew his cats!

"The Rum-Tum-Tugger doesn't care for a cuddle,
but he'll leap on your lap in the middle of your sewing,
because there's nothing he enjoys like a terrible muddle!"

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
My cat "helped" me do Christmas gift wrapping. It made the process twice as long, I was always having to find the scissors, tape, pen, or repair the rips in the paper... gotta love a helpful cat!

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Mine try to help me make the bed or clean the bathroom sink....It's my pups that steal my sewing stuff when I'm not looking!!!

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I have yet to decide if beading or sewing is more difficult with cats.

I was making a necklace with a whole lotta itty bitty sterling silver beads on it last night and Robin ran up my back, over my shoulder, and landed in the middle of my project. Beads went everywhere -- not just what was on the necklace, but the jar of beads as well.

What didn't roll under the book case went down the floor register.

The $$ value is not quite enough for me to want to crawl under my house in and take apart the air duct they went into. I spent quite a bit of time with a ruler, sweeping the beads out from under the bookshelf. And I didn't recover all of them -- I'm now short a few for the project.

:flame:

And while I was on my hands and knees retrieving beeds from under the bookshelf, the cat jumped up on the table -- again -- and sent a bunch of seed beeds the SAME color of brown as my floor flying.

Remind me again why I own cats?

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Isn't it amazing how they can unwind a spool of thread and have it wrapped around everything? (around, over, under, between . . .)

Years ago I was staying with my Mom while DH was in training. I had a young cat at the time. My Mom loves to knit, and one day she got up to use the bathroom and came out to find the cat crying and completely tied up in the yarn. At least she thought it was funny!

Cathy

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
One year, I thought I would be clever and put "unbreakable" ornaments on the Christmas tree, so I bought some of those satin covered balls. Do you know how far those things can unravel?!?!! :bouncy:

·
Registered
865 Posts
You better watch that cat. Mine loved to lay on my quilting frame and watch me quilt. Well when I got up in the morning she would always come running but one morning she didn't. She kept acting like she was coughing up a fur ball but couldn't. I rushed her into the vet. X ray showed she had swallowed a quilting needle and it was caught in her throught(?) Had to rush her to another vet a town away cause first vet couldn't help with his bigger tools. Anyway next vet gave her a mild setative and was able to get it out. 250 dollars later she was no more the free cat. Also another 100 for all her shots and to get her fixed. I had to end up finding her a home because she would stalk my pin cussion. Darned cat. I could hide it but she would go huntting for it. I was afraid the next time it would kill her.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Ardie, it sounds like Mitzie is having a blast living with you! :)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
So those of you who sew and have or had little children around know not to put pins in your mouth. You know you do this when they are not around, I do. So my children are in their 20s, I did not think to worry about the new kitten. The cats are not allowed in the sewing room unless I am there for the same reasons as stated above. But one day while using the pins, yes holding them in my mouth I watched as the kitten removed a pin from the cushion with his paws and put it in his mouth, head only, like I do and looked at me and cocked his head. It was so cute, but scary. No more cats in the sewing room ever.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So those of you who sew and have or had little children around know not to put pins in your mouth. You know you do this when they are not around, I do. So my children are in their 20s, I did not think to worry about the new kitten. The cats are not allowed in the sewing room unless I am there for the same reasons as stated above. But one day while using the pins, yes holding them in my mouth I watched as the kitten removed a pin from the cushion with his paws and put it in his mouth, head only, like I do and looked at me and cocked his head. It was so cute, but scary. No more cats in the sewing room ever.
When Brat the Cat was young, he found my pin cushion. He pulled out and spit every pin all over the room! That room has carpeting and it took months to get them out!

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
My dog is even worse then the cats. I have to keep the sewing room closed all the time (and locked!) as the dog knows how to get in there, open all the drawers, drag out all the meterial, shred patters (she has a thing for paper...anyoen need some documents shredded? I have the pooch for the job) and lets not even discus the time I came home to find a sweeter I'd been knitting unraveled all over the living room!

G

·
They will indeed imitate their owners. I had one that would stick her tongue out at me when I would stick my tongue out at her first!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
LOL -Knitting isnt any easyer than sewing with a cat around. Mine thinks I invented this twitching yarn game just for her enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Huh. Try knitting when your 90 pound dog wants to eat your project! LOL.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Also, be aware that any type of string can kill a cat or dog if it is eaten. I can't tell you how many animals I have helped to remove lengths of intestine from because the animal ate string which cut holes in the intestinal tract. Please be careful.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Also, be aware that any type of string can kill a cat or dog if it is eaten. I can't tell you how many animals I have helped to remove lengths of intestine from because the animal ate string which cut holes in the intestinal tract. Please be careful.
I keep mine put away except when in use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts