sewer line

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Puddin, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Puddin

Puddin Well-Known Member

How does one get rid of tree roots in the sewer? A town line sewer, not a septic tank.
    About every two years I have to get roto rooters out to clear my line of tree roots. VERY expensive! Especially if they break something (which of course is always MY fault, not theirs).
    Thanks, in advance
    Gloria

2. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

We had a giant sycamore in our front yard growing up. After having roto-rooter out three times in the first year my mom asked around. We started throughing a cup of salt down the toilet each week. Never called roto-rooter again. Probably not to cheap in the long run but it worked.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I think there are chemicals you can use but if salt works that would be a lot cheaper

4. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Dig up the sewer line, usually tile, and replace it with solid plastic pipe. The roots can't get in plastic and it's a shame to kill a tree. :cowboy:

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

'it's a shame to kill a tree.'

It wont hurt the tree It just kills the roots it contacts inside the pipes. Much like pruning wont hurt it. A solid pipe WOULD go a long way towards solving the problem though.

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

other thing is that if roots are getting in ,so is rain water and there is a possibility of sewage getting out! common problem with older services.

7. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

My parent's house had the same problem. My brother and I got tired of digging it up and cleaning out the line, so we dug it up and replaced it with PVC. We also replaced the galvanized water line at the same time. We never had to go back.

8. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

9. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Copper sulfate twice a year. Get it at a hardware store/Walmart.

10. Puddin

Puddin Well-Known Member

It is PVC pipe...our ground moves with frost and heating, the PVC is the best we can do, but, at the joints is where the tree roots are getting in. I have tried all the chemicals available to me, and I only have to do this every two years (get the rooters out). I will certainly try the salt though! Once I get it open.
    How would the heavy copper pipe work? that is interesting.....If I end up digging this up, I"ll remember this advice.
    I thought this would be a good question to ask in this forum, there are alot of ingenius folks here, willing to share their knowledge and experiences.
    Thanks for your replies!
    Gloria

11. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Most PVC lines have glued joints where the joined sections weld chemically and become one solid piece. This would leave no way for roots to get into the pipe.

Maybe you have the pipe joints that slip together with a rubber ring.

At any rate I'd talk to those that installed the line and inquire as to why it is failing.

12. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

we have a system in our town that is like "open canal" or something like that....the sewer system runs down the alley....it is a big rectangle....all of the individual home sewer lines just dead-end into the top section of the box....the wastewater falls into the 'canal'......

well this open-ended pipe causes major probs....we dump "Root Killer" [found at walmart in the RV section (near the ceiling fans)] 1/2 down the toilet and 1/2 down the access cap......or toilet doesnt have enough umph to push it all down the pipe which is why we use the access cap

we do this at least 1x each year....early early spring sometimes in the fall too

Rachel

13. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Darlin it sounds like ya'll got a bigger problem than tree roots if the town is one open sewer. P.U.

14. Puddin

Puddin Well-Known Member

Thanks RachAnn....I will most certainly look into that!
    Gloria

15. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

I guess I didnt explain it very well......

the city guy explained it to us as a big rectangle box buried under the alleyway....it is deep and my household pipe just goes right up to the top portion of the box and the wastewater falls down inside the 'canal'......it is covered completely but because of the way that all the pipes go into the "mainline" the treeroots tend to clog the end of the household pipes

Root Killer can also be found at Atwoods but it is like $8 there and like $6.50 at Walmart

I am about 99% sure that this is the bottle:

[​IMG]

Rachel