Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH just sliced off the tip of his thumb with a sharp kitchen knife. About 1/8", totally off, just flesh, no bone or nail involved. I doubt that little bit can be reattached or that anything can be done nerve-wise, but am I missing something? Should I get him to an ER? He's being all tough about it, of course... I'm thinking a tetanus booster is the very least that's in order...

Does anyone know? A quick Google search only turned up info on more serious amputations.

TIA!!!!

·
TLC Farm
246 Posts
If you can get your hands on some colloidal silver it would be very helpful. It causes the healthy skin tissue to grow and stops infections. Most health food stores will carry it. Also, online at utopiasilver.com .

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
I bet it will grow back. Since it was sliced and not crushed. I saw a youtube video where someone sliced of the tip of one finger in a tiling accident. It was just the very tip same as your husband. It grew back.

If I were you I clean it, put some antibiotic ointment on it, and bandage it up. Change the bandage twice daily and let it "air" a couple of hours every evening while he's watching TV or something.

You did get the bleeding stopped, yes?

:coffee: RedTartan

·
Pyromaniac Weaponologist
207 Posts
I did the exact thing a few years back. I put ointment on it and bandaged it up. Healed up just fine, one thumb is the slightest bit pinker and I can't feel the tip, but other than that, no problems at all.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i nearly took the tip of my pinky off with sharp glass when digging in the dirt. luckily i had enough of it left so that i could bandage it together tightly. i cleaned it as best i could and used a lot of tea tree oil to kill any nasty stuff. i kept the bandages on for a few days before i took them off and it totally healed and i lost nothing. i think the tea tree oil really helped.

if there is any way to clean and apply the flap of skin, i think i would try to place that on and bandage it really well. if you have tea tree oil, i would use it.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice so far!

It's still bleeding, but it is slowing down some finally. I think the initial adrenaline response is wearing off and now he's really feeling it - OUCH! Luckily, we have some prescription-strength ibuprofen (800 mg) from a previous mishap, so he's taken that.

I'm doing what I can to help, but I don't do to well with the sight of injuries like this - I get all lightheaded and woozy. Not helpful. So he tried to bandage it up with some sterile gauze, but it's bled through. So we're about to re-do that, with Neosporin this time. I did more googling, and general consensus - including VS's experience - is that it'll heal without a trip to the doctor, so, I guess I'm off to *try* to help re-bandage it. *GULP!*

Thanks, again, everyone!!!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Pressure and raise it above heart level until the bleeding starts.

There's nothing they can do about getting the bit of finger back on there, if it's mainly skin. If it's blood supply has been severed, it probably will not graft back without major plastic surgery.

I'd clean, bandage, keep elevated (will help with the throbbing). If it's more than 1/2 inch of space, need to check in with ER and yes, a tetanus booster is needed.

dawn

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Run under cold water to thoroughly rinse it, give a small squirt of antiseptic, put the missing piece back into place, Super Glue the edges then wrap with a padded bandage, not too tight. If it bleeds through, add more bandages on it and keep the hand above the head until the bleeding slows or stops.

Carefully remove the bandage in 24 hours. If the piece is blackish and smells bad, go to the doctor. If it is only discolored and has no bad smell, bandage it back up and keep it dry for 3 days.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Use some styptic or a strong coffee solution to stop the bleeding. The Ibuprofen is reducing his clotting abilities- he should take Painkillers WITHOUT asa, aleve, ibuprofen, any NSAID will prolong bleeding.

·
Registered
578 Posts
DH just sliced off the tip of his thumb with a sharp kitchen knife. About 1/8", totally off, just flesh, no bone or nail involved. I doubt that little bit can be reattached or that anything can be done nerve-wise, but am I missing something? Should I get him to an ER? He's being all tough about it, of course... I'm thinking a tetanus booster is the very least that's in order...

Does anyone know? A quick Google search only turned up info on more serious amputations.

TIA!!!!
I did this exact same thing last Christmas.........chopping collard greens. Just covered it with gauze and a finger cot, kept Neosporin on it. It's still a little flat on top even after a year....but it healed fine.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Why don't you people go to the doctor? I ripped a one inch chunk off the bottom of my foot. Caught it on an old square headed nail in my plank floors. House was built in 1860 doctor superglued it and it healed right up. I have high deductible insurence so I had to pay for the incident myself. Doctor took payments.
Linda

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Why go to the doctor if you can take care of it yourself? Doctors are busy and expensive. Let the people that really need them take up the doctor's time and I'll stay at home... with my wallet.

:coffee: RedTartan

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I posted about my DH cold finger a while ago. He severed his middle finger just past the knuckle last Feb. The ER simply wound gauze around it to keep it alive, until after the weekend, then hubby went to the doctor, who stitched him up. I couldn't beleive his finger stayed alive that long, but it did! He has minimal feeling in that finger now, and very little circulation, but he has his finger!

My suggestion is go the the doctor! Chances are they can stitch it together & he will have his fingertip back!
Good Luck!
HF

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a quick update: the bleeding stopped a while ago, after we re-bandaged it with Neosporin. He's been keeping it elevated.

Why no doctor? Well, if it were me, I'd have gone! (And HE would have MADE me go, ironically enough!) I tried to get him to go, but he didn't think they'd be able to do anything for it. He's probably right - once things quieted down a bit and I took a real look at it, the whole chunk was not quite 1/2" in diameter and 1/8" thick, mostly skin, with a little area of actual pad maybe 1/4" around - probably not enough to reattach or do anything about.

I'm going to keep after him about the tetanus booster, though, since neither of us can remember when he got one last.

Thanks again to everyone for the support and advice. Just the talking helped me clear my head during this little adventure so I could try to pretend I was staying calm. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
I sliced the tip of my finger off once with a rotary cutter and it healed just fine. I kept it good and clean and bandaged up.
Karen in NE Indiana

·
Domestic Engineer
709 Posts
If it should start bleeding again - cayenne will stop it. It burns a bit, really not badly though. Just dip the finger into it and it works like steptic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts