Severe back pain

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by roadless, Apr 4, 2018.

1. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Had a Dr tell me years ago that most issues in life are simple, we just overthink and make them complicated.
    90% of my pains are due to over exertion of muscles; the other 10% is age. Trying to do today with the same effort and nimbleness of 30 years ago. It is why I traded wheel barrel for a golf cart with a work bed, a hoe for a tiller, an axe for a chainsaw and two sons for a tractor.
    Mysterious pains, aches, swellings that I don't have time for a Dr to figure out.
    A good mattress can make all the difference in the world. I prefer one with the firmness of a beach towel over a slab of marble.

roadless likes this.
  2. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree GTX 63. . I am extremely fortunate to not have any troublesome health issues. I am use to being physically flexible, that is why this pain was so disconcerting .
    Thankfully, it passed.
    Definitely looking forward to a firmer mattress though....maybe not marble firm!

Kiamichi Kid likes this.

3. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Massage has always been a help for my sore muscles...and whiskey.
    I have learned to avoid doing the same motion for extended periods ie shoveling, raking algae from a pond with a 10' rake, repetitive lifting, etc. There are general pointers a doctor and posters here can give you, but only you know your body.
    Listen to it, slow down and break jobs up into portions rather than trying to start and finish in the same motion.
    It is a habit you will have to form. Working alone is like riding a bicycle; if you stop there is no one else to peddle and you don't get anywhere.
    Ibuprofen is your friend.

Kiamichi Kid and roadless like this.
  4. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Do you have someone to massage it for you? going through the same thing right now. Wife started massaging it 2 times a day: morning and nights, it's getting better quickly -- just read further that you do not have anyone.

Also ice it: put an ice pack (cover it with a towel) and leave it for 30-60 minutes.
    Try to sit and walk as normally as possible even if that means slowing down a lot when you walk.

5. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

I agee, a good Chiropractor is worth it, but a bad one can ruin your day. Look up reviews online.

6. roadless

Mnn2501, it would be wonderful to have someone around to massage it, but no I don't, and it's rather expensive to get a massage.
    It was feeling much better with ice and stretching...today I got a bit of a twinge though when I locked myself out of the house and had to climb through a small window. Ugh. :rolleyes:

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  7. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

oh for heavens sake! you've probably set it back again now. I hope not. I had a few twinges sat night from bending over for most of the day . i bought a bunch of ice pks but no way can i use them. i rubbed it with A535. then lay on the heating pad when i went to bed.

always happens when i forget my brace when I'm in the garden. i was using the crow bar to get out a block of cement. as i mentioned previously i do have a powerful muscle relaxant but i only use it when it is really painful and only a quarter of a tablet. be well Roadless.~Georgia

8. roadless

Thanks Georgia...and you as well...using a crowbar huh? ..Hopefully it worked for ya..I did all kinds of physical labor today..and have a 'good' sore going on....we'll see how I feel in the morning ! Lol

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  9. Grey Mare

Grey Mare Well-Known Member

Roadless, have you tried taking MSM? I use to suffer from back pain such as you mentioned, to the point we even got a new bed, which helped greatly but didn't take the pain and stiffness away. I started taking MSM, as after all, I give it to my horses for arthritic issues, it is for us human's too, so why not? Within I would say 2 weeks or so, I felt so much better and it really helped, but you have to be patient as it isn't an instant feel better today.

Try heat and ice....maybe also try biofreeze rubbed into the area that it hurts, that often helps too. Good luck...

roadless likes this.
  10. roadless

No I haven't Grey Mare, thanks for the suggestions, I'll check it out.

Grey Mare likes this.