Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
This thread reminds me of something I saw locally last summer.

It was a pickup truck towing a 16 foot flatbed trailer.
In the center of the trailer was a big red steer.
The steer was lying down, but up on his chest with his head up. He was alive and awake.
Across his withers and across his hips he was secured to the trailer with 2 wide yellow tow straps, the ratcheting kind.
The straps went from one side edge of the trailer across to the other, just like you would strap down lumber or hay.
Now, I know they weren't going 500 miles nor were they doing highway speeds but it was a first for me to see that method.

Perhaps he was a downer and they had lifted him onto the trailer?
IDK, but I wish I had taken a picture of it. :teehee:

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,914 Posts
500 miles, I wouldn't. A short trip might be OK, depending on the quality of the stock racks and disposition of the critter. That's why they call them "stock racks", it used to be SOP.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Does he not like this cow?

·
Registered
299 Posts
My husband is saying it is ok to transport a mini cow in a pickup truck bed for 500+ miles. I say not. what do you say?
As long as you're using a secure stock rack, I don't see a problem with it. You would probably want to rig some type of shelter inside the rack in case of snow/rain, though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had an old pickup bed trailer, I had a stock rack for a pickup bed. About a week ago I put them together and drove 50 miles to pickup 3 little calves. Not good, if I drove too fast, say over 50 mpg the trailer would start swaying somewhat dangerously, in my opinion, from side to side. I made the trip ok, but, ended up driving about 45 mpg.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
A live moving 800 to 1200 lb cow in the back of a pick up moving around while driving for 500 miles, no way would I torture myself that way.

I don't know how big a mini cow is, but if you haven't hauled a live animal in the back of a pick up I wouldn't advise starting to on a 500 mile trip. Proper stock racks and at least a 3/4 ton pick up would be needed. Todays 1/2 ton cars/pick ups just aren't stable enough for such an endeavor.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
A live moving 800 to 1200 lb cow in the back of a pick up moving around while driving for 500 miles, no way would I torture myself that way.

I don't know how big a mini cow is, but if you haven't hauled a live animal in the back of a pick up I wouldn't advise starting to on a 500 mile trip. Proper stock racks and at least a 3/4 ton pick up would be needed. Todays 1/2 ton cars/pick ups just aren't stable enough for such an endeavor.
+1
I agree it can be done with the right equipment and it does depend on the size/weight of the animal. Go to the local auction and you will see lots of different setups.

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
With stock racks, a heavy enough truck (3/4 ton or bigger), and the proper weight rating on your rear tires it CAN be done. I'd definitely recommend having the animal haltered and tied well as well as having a thin layer of sand or other type of non-slip surface for it to stand on.

·
Family Jersey Dairy
4,772 Posts
I don`t know what all the fuss is about. I use to haul everything in a stock truck, and have a stock rack for a pickup in the shed yet. I would haul a mini cow in my pickup any day of the week. Much cheaper to drive just a truck, than a truck and trailer. Many factors to think about when doing it, weather, road conditions and such. But I have hauled animals a long time in a truck, but yes trailers are nice if you have one. Thanks Marc

·
Banned
292 Posts
Not without a top, I'd be worried she'll jump out. He can build a top and sides using the wholes that are in the sides of the bed. Won't be easy getting that cow in there though.

You know what I've done several times before I had a stock trailer is rent a small uhaul trailer. Uhaul might not be too happy if they knew, but what they dont know wont hurt them. For 25 bucks you can rent a uhaul trailer, put your cow in and just rig the door so it stays open a few inches for air flow.

We went about 200 miles that way with sheep. No problems. Just be sure to stop often and check on your cow and make sure you've got that door rigged so it stays a little open for air because those uhaul trailers dont have slits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts