Setting Up Wood Stove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by AnnaS, Sep 27, 2005.

1. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I'm setting up my new wood stove in the shop. There is supposed to be a 1" space between the chipboard wall and the 24 gauge steel plate that's the wall shield. How do I attach it so there's a space and yet not have it fall down?
    Also would like any advice about stovepipe, etc. Always burned wood as a kid but never set up a stove before.

2. makizoo

makizoo Well-Known Member

The fireplace shop should sell ceramic spacers specifically for this purpose.

3. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

You need single wall stovepipe inside, then a special unit of pipe and box for going through the ceiling or wall, then triple wall stovepipe outside with a collar and a top. I believe it is supposed to stand a foot higher than anything within a three-foot radius, but I may have those figures wrong. Anyway, you may have to get braces for the stovepipe as it rises above the roof. The single wall pipe allows more heat to pass through and help heat your house. The triple wall insulates the smoke to keep it from cooling down too quickly in the cold outside air. When it cools too quickly, build-up forms on the inside of the pipe and makes fires more likely. I'd find a place that sells wood stoves and pipe and all that equipment and talk to them about what you need for your specific place.

4. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Hey Anna-

If you need some help getting that thing set up, give us a shout- Craig is really good at that sort of job. I am good for moral support, lol.

***still figuring out the milk thing, we'll call you when we know something definite.

Elizabeth

5. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan- I'll let you know! Got a new computer too so I'm email-able again.

6. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

There can be strict regulation on installing a wood stove. If you violate the rules that can nullify your fire insurance (I would guess especially in Minn.). Get a professional to install the roof jack and attic pipe. Also be aware of distance from the wall rules for the stove.

I used cement board as my shop stove wall protector screwed to 2x2's fastened to the wall. The surface temp of the wall board does not exceed 100 degrees no matter how hot the fire is. If you have higher temps, you probably need a larger stove as you are over firing.