setting up a woodstove outdoors -- good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by susanneb, Nov 16, 2005.

1. susanneb

susanneb Well-Known Member

My mother gave us her newer woodstove -- excellent condition, but they had a gas fireplace installed.

We are temporarily living in a mobile home with a lodgepole pine structure overhead, creating a covered patio that we use as our outdoor living space.

We'd like to use the woodstove out on the patio so that we can enjoy this space year-round, with the stove itself protected from rain, but with a chimney to take smoke out and away. The stove itself would not be near anything flammable.

If we do this, we obviously need to have two elbows so that the chimney will go out and then up higher than the overhead structure.

Would this be safe, and what would you do to securely support the chimney?

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I just bought an old Birminham Stove pat.1899 that I have to do a little work on and also am thinking of putting it outside under a small shed by our barque pit and bread oven. I would think that if done right there would be no problem.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sure it will work fine---------One thing you might not like is-------because of it being in a open air place, the moisture will cause it to rust real quick. Randy

4. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

When you go outside you need a clearance reduction insulated thimble, or keep combustibles 18" away from the regular flue.

Though it is easier to use the proper thimble and support brackets. Also, use an insulated flue after you get outside. And, the flue must go up, two-feet above anything within ten feet. Outside of the building use 'A' vent. And A vent is an insulated double wall flue, with stainless steel inside, and sometimes outside.

Check out this wood stove safety site.

And this discussion about stove pipes vs chimneys

This is from another post of mine, showing proper double wall stove pipe, Type 'A' flue, and proper height above roof.

Enjoy,

Alex

5. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

Just step out away from the out side wall and poor a slab then use concrete block and build a small place for the stove this way you can go straight up through a add on METAL Roof. But add another pipe around the stove pipe with a wind directional top (china hat) ? Run the pipe up far enough and support it.

6. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

There is a rental house between us and town that has a big screened front porch. The porch is half concrete blocks and the upper part screen. Those folks have installed heavy plastic on the inside and now have an additional "room" for the winter....

I'm not sure how they're heating it but I know they've been using it a lot...

You might want to install some heavy plastic like that for a temporary enclosure for your patio area. Then you could leave the door open to your mobile home and the heater would likely heat a good bit of it as well!

best wishes! be careful! check the batteries in all your smoke detectors!
    (we heat our whole house with a wood-burning heater and have for years.)