Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our maremmas (LGDs) were fixed last week Monday. Reno hasn't had any problems, but on Friday, we noticed that Tori's incision looked swollen and like there was a big lump under it. It didn't feel hot or anything like it was infected and she didn't seem to be in any pain, so we figured we'd watch it over the weekend. The dogs were still out in the barn all week even though our vet kept insisting they HAD to come in the house to recover from the surgery.

I called the vet yesterday morning and took Tori in right away. They said she had a serum pocket...blood in a pocket under the incision, probably caused by too much activity. She and Reno were still wrestling and she'd still run out in the pen and she even escaped a few times. The vet said Tori had overdone it and read us the riot act for not bringing the dogs in the house and drained the serum pocket.

First...has anyone else ever had this happen to a dog and second, would you still have left the dogs in the barn after the surgery even though the vet said to bring them in while they recovered?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I've never desexed my male dogs and never heard of a serum pocket.

Funny how for desexing you're encouraged to keep a dog quiet and an equine able to roam.

I don't know enough about the dog process to say if he should have stayed in the barn or not.

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
I would have kept them secure and seperate. Spaying a female is a much more complicated surgery than neutering a male, and requires a longer rest period. I probably wouldnt have had them in the house, but I do have a 10 X 10 kennel on a concrete pad to isolate animals if I have to.

If youre going to pay big bucks to a Vet , it's probably best to listen to what they tell you. Good luck with her though.

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Serum pockets are not that uncommon-- especially in a female spay operation. But yes, the dogs should at least have been confined to prevent high levels of activity-- separate stalls would probably have sufficed-- to prevent the play wrestling--that is why the vet said to bring them into the house-- so that you could prevent any behaviour that would stretch or tear the incisions.

Serum pockets are where the drainage pools-- and some movements will open up 'holes' in the incisions ( there is more than one layer of tissue involved here) permitting the fluids to drain into areas where the body has a difficult time resorbing the liquids. Sometimes, the willbecome septic. other times, it may take a few months, but they can recede. BUT-- any long term separtion of the tissues can lead to further issues later in life.

I don't agree with everything most vets suggest-- but ANY female needs a bit of a rest when her abdomen has been sliced open-- I really appreciated the one week hospital stay after my second and third C-sections!!!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice! I only have 1 stall in the barn so it would have been hard to keep the dogs separated, so we now have them in the house until Tori gets her staples out. I'm getting spoiled with them in here though...I adore these dogs and they're doing great so far. Only 1 poop accident because I wasn't paying close enough attention to her signals. These dogs have always been in the barn, so I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they're doing in here. Tori has been laying down a lot and resting and I wish I had listened to the vet in the first place. Thank God nothing TOO bad happened to my girl!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just had my 8 month old female cat spayed two nights ago. Lots of people there with dogs and cats, they were telling everyone to keep them in, keep them quiet. Well mine lives in the house anyway but two days later and she is still sore, walking carefully (slow) and has not wanted to play. It is a surgery, I wouldn't be out running around if I had just had my ovarie(s) removed!
I've got another kitty (8 week old) I adopted last week and she was spayed before I brought her home. She has a lump by her incision too. hmmmm serum pocket, I'll call the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Last Saturday I had one of my bitches in to the vet for a spay due to pyometra (on her first heat! Plus she had no symptoms except a slight fever and enlargement of the abdomen, very weird, but I digress) and yesterday she decided she was all better and wanted to play. When the other dogs start playing, she gets crated. She's a very reserved dog and doesn't mind being crated, but she does give me these *looks* the whole time.

Jess

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I took them both in today to have sutures removed (we had dewclaws removed while they were under when they were neutered/spayed) and saw the other vet in the practice and she said the pups looked great and could go back in the barn. WOOHOO. I love these dogs, but having them in the house this week was not fun. They did real well not having accidents in the house (only 1 and entirely my own fault), but they just weren't used to being inside and not getting to play like they usually do out in the barn/pens.

Now to get the bernese mtn dog potty trained completely.........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts