Serious problem with my dog....

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by sisterpine, Mar 20, 2017.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I adopted Katie about two years ago. From a breeder rescue. She was then 8-9 years old and had recently been spayed and had some mammary tumors removed. Since then she has had regular vaccines and had her teeth cleaned with 9 removed. She is having a terrible time walking. We thought maybe her paws were too hairy so we carefully trimmed the hair away from the pads...that was not it. It seemed that while walking her front feet sometimes do not come all the way forward from the ankles and she stumbles. That was a couple of weeks ago and now I am noticing that she has trouble keeping her rear legs under her on the tile or wood floor. Does better on the rugs but when on the tile when the legs go out from under her she just sits there for the longest time until I pick her up and take her to a rug. I am really worried about this little blind dog with the over active kidneys (really, not just me, it is some genetic thing). A vet appointment will be made tomorrow but wondering if anyone has any ideas?

2. GormanFarm

GormanFarm Well-Known Member

Lack of coordination or difficulty walking can be so many things, including neurological. The only way to know for sure is the vet. Since it isn't limited to one leg, it is prob not an injury to a limb.

3. Declan

Declan Well-Known Member

Sounds like she is not picking her feet up. She could just be slowly going lame or be having back issues. Not sure. Your vet should be able to do tests to eliminate other things.

4. TRAILRIDER

TRAILRIDER Well-Known Member Supporter

The above replies are exactly correct. Good luck at the vets. It sounds like your girl is in good hands, she is a lucky dog.

5. sisterpine

Vet today at one fifteen, fingers crossed

nehimama and Declan like this.
  6. GormanFarm

Fingers crossed for you...keep us posted.

7. sisterpine

Back from the vet, she was not much help. Did some expensive blood test to look for cushings disease or diabetes- neg on both. She can find no reason without major expense as to why Katie is not walking properly. Decided to put her on antibiotics and a pain med for a few days just to see if that made a difference. She has an appointment on Friday morning; felt we should know by then if the meds were having any effect.

8. Declan

Declan Well-Known Member

Arthritis maybe. My blind dog would go through periods of this the last few years of her life. Sometimes it would be because she had tripped and fallen forward and it took her awhile to get back to having the confidence to move faster. Either way, hard to say. Just some guesses. Mine lived to be 17 which was a few years beyond her life span.

nehimama likes this.
  9. light rain

light rain Well-Known Member

Did they test her for a tickborn disease?

10. MDKatie

MDKatie Well-Known Member Supporter

As dogs get older, they have a hard time getting good traction on slippery floors (losing muscle tone). My dog got the same way, and I made him little booties with non-skid bottoms. For the last couple years of his life, I'd also have to put a towel down in the bath tub for his baths, because he couldn't stand up in the tub.

Can you get some inexpensive runners so she has a path wherever she needs to walk?

nehimama and Crivera175 like this.
  11. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

Glad you got her into the vet. The runners on the floor is a great compromise. My Lab mix Beau slides on the kitchen floor so he has runners all across my new floor, oh well, who really wants to see the floor anyway!

The back end issues are one thing, that by itself might not bother me much. But I'm more worried about it being neurological because of the front end issues. Had a client that just last month had to put his 7 year old dog down for that reason. Started with the front end and quickly went to the back end. Poor dog couldn't even lift his tail to get it out of the way to relieve himself. Wishing you the best on Friday. It could be so many things. (sigh)

nehimama and Crivera175 like this.
  12. GormanFarm

Anxious to know if the pain meds made any improvement? I pray your little one has a recovery.

CountryMom22 and Crivera175 like this.
  13. sisterpine

I honestly cannot tell if the meds are helping or not. Sometimes I think it maybe helped a bit and other times I see her life as being one of no movement on her own power. I can help her keep her back legs under her to pee but she cannot get back up after squatting. Will give a very critical look at her tomorrow and decide.

nehimama likes this.
  14. GormanFarm

I am so sorry, I have been in your shoes, it is not easy to be the one who must decide what to do.
    :(

CountryMom22 likes this.
  15. sisterpine

I know I made the right decision today to put Katie down however now I just keep crying. I will truly miss her hugableness.

CountryMom22 and nehimama like this.
  16. Crivera175

Crivera175 Member

Wow!! So sorry for your loss :(
    I had to put my golden down (Red) it's never an easy decision to make.
    Sorry

nehimama likes this.
  17. GormanFarm

I am sorry, I know how hard it is. There is nothing I can say to ease your pain, just know you did the right thing for her, she isn't suffering anymore. Loss is such a hard thing. You gave her something so special a chance to be loved, and that is what you should remember.....God Bless.

CountryMom22 and nehimama like this.
  18. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

She lived longer than most dogs. It's not really a consolation, but I think you were lucky to have her for so long. You did the compassionate thing.

light rain and nehimama like this.
  19. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

So sorry you lost your buddy. Just know that you did the right thing for her. You gave her more in this life than many a dog gets to experience. She knew you loved her. I hope all your wonderful memories of your time together bring you peace.

20. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear of this. Am going through the same decision making process right now. So painful.

I remember when you got her. What a joy. Good memories as that is what will sustain you.

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm