Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
With 6 of us..and all the animals. We always have full loads of laundry! If I do not do laundry every day, then I'll really be in trouble!
I've accepted the fact that my husband is more motivated to play an online game then to fix a pipe. Or the fact that he is going to try to make biodiesel and our barn is not yet ready for winter. He doesn't cook either. <sigh> And you know the saying about the shoemakers kids go barefoot?? He will fix his computer but not mine..and if he does I get a lecture. I'm fully capable of fixing my own computer.

That said. What do you use to wash and clean with if you don't use bleach????

I thought that was something that everyone used?

BlessedMom

·
Registered
46 Posts
BlessedMom said:
With 6 of us..and all the animals. We always have full loads of laundry! If I do not do laundry every day, then I'll really be in trouble!
I've accepted the fact that my husband is more motivated to play an online game then to fix a pipe. Or the fact that he is going to try to make biodiesel and our barn is not yet ready for winter. He doesn't cook either. <sigh> And you know the saying about the shoemakers kids go barefoot?? He will fix his computer but not mine..and if he does I get a lecture. I'm fully capable of fixing my own computer.

That said. What do you use to wash and clean with if you don't use bleach????

I thought that was something that everyone used?

BlessedMom
It really has to be hard with you working full-time. You have a lot on your plate. Does he just come home and plop when you are working an outside job AND doing all the stuff at home? I would have trouble accepting that. Hubby doesn't do a lot around the house, but I don't have an outside job, either. Of course we're pretty much dirt poor, but oh well. We only have one computer, so he has to fix this one if he wants to use it. But we 'fight' over it when he's home, you go to the bathroom, you lose your turn, lol.

Hydrogen peroxide takes out a lot of stains, but I don't know if that's any better for the system than bleach.

Heather

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
BlessedMom, I noticed you said you didn't know where your drainfield is. I'd find out if you can. Ask the previous owners or maybe the county has a record of the septic plan. Our neighbor ruined his drain field when he put fence posts in the drainfield pipes. Also you need to keep anything heavy from driving over it.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
So far I'm reading the todo list as follows:

1. Find out where that leach field/septic field is! WAY important.

2. Pump the tank now to see what kind of shape it is in. (We're $200 here, right in the middle of everyone else)

3. Consider changing flushing habits, toilet paper brands, and how often one flushes.

4. Not mentioned, but it is illegal here to have a grey water system (divert the sink or washer from the septic) so we bit the bullet and bought an energy efficient, water efficient, front load washer. It has not paid for itself in energy savings, but it has in that our septic field is holding. Washing machine: $600. Replacing septic field with engineer's study: $10,000!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I just remembered our washing machine goes to the field tile and my parents ties into the field after the tank. A properly working system shouldn't need pumped. My old house was never pumped till I went to sell 6 people 15 years and who knows how long before that no problems.

mikell

·
Registered
528 Posts
The best scenario would be to run the washer out on a gray water line into the yard. If you can't do this, then put a filter on your washer to keep the lint from getting into septic. It doesn't break down. Another thing is to get on a schedule of having the septic pumped out every 3 years. Avoid putting stuff down the garbage disposal if you have one. I have one, but I scape everything off plates and pans first, and only use it for the little bit that is still on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm just coming out of some septic problems too. With the remnants of Hurricane Ivan, even up here in Centre County PA, my neighbor measured 4.4" of rain. Well, I think our cesspool (which I have a strong suspicion was originally a hand-dug well) ended up working, well, like a well. See, most of our downspouts go into our backyard, and our backyard is shaped like a bowl, and you cna guess what is smack in the middle of the bowl. So, with all of the rain we had, it percolated into the ground and collected in our cesspool.

The first sign of problem was that our washing machine (in the basement, the lowest opening into our drain piping system) started backing up.

We called and got the cesspool pumped the next morning. $210, it was 1500 gallons of 'stuff' :rolleyes: .

The real surprise was that night when we ran the dishwasher and the washing machine drain again began backing up. Seems we got ourselves a blockage because the cesspool was so full. Off to the hardware store to rent a heavy-duty snake. Oh, the joys of home ownership.

The previous owners, who are now our neighbors, only had to pump the cesspool once in 28 years, and it was also pumped right before we bought the place in May. They had 3 girls, and with us it's just me, my wife, and 2 kids under 3. I really think it was just the water saturated soil that screwed us up.

Hope this helps.

John

21 - 27 of 27 Posts