Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place to post but my septic tank needs to be replaced. So my question is do I need a special type tank or will a regular water tank work? I have a 750 gallon water tank that came off a water truck that is in practically new condition. Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

·
Premium Member
18,068 Posts
First a few questions.

1. Does your county enforce septic rules and regs?

2. How many below live in the house?

3. What are the dimensions of the tank?

4. Do you ever plan to sell your house in the future?

5. Where does the outlet of the current tank lead to?

6. Is the 750 gallon tank stainless or plastic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
County does not enforce rules and regs except on completely new systems.

There four people in the house, the old tank is a 500 gallon.

I am guessing the dimensions of the water tank i have is 8 feet long and probably 3 or 4 feet tall.

No plans to sell the house but you never know.

Outlet of the current tank leads to a drainfield.

The 750 gallon tank is plastic.

It looks more or less like the picture posted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,068 Posts
A 750-gallon tank is somewhat small for a family of four. It is really too small if you use a garbage grinder in the kitchen sink.

You would have to plumb it properly so to have the inlet and outlet baffles at the correct heights. Technically, there should be manholes above the inlet and outlet baffles for servicing purposes.

The manhole on top looks kind of small and it is not centered. A large, centered opening is generally needed to allow a pumper to a good job of circulating the contents before he pumps it out.

Not sure if the tank could stand up to the weight of the soil above it once it's buried.

How high is the watertable? If it is high, the tank could pop out (ie, float out) of the ground once it is emptied by a pumper.

You would likely have to replace it with a standard septic tank if you ever plan on selling your house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a little small but its better than 500. We dont have a garbage disposal.

Water table is not an issue.

Having to replace it again if we sell, and the fact that it may not be able to be serviced properly are concerning.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
18,068 Posts
A standard 750-gallon plastic septic tank looks like these. Notice the large manholes on top and how high the inlets and outlets are. Also, notice how they are ribbed. The ribbing adds strength to withstand the weight of soil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tank I have is ribbed all the way around but the opening is probably only 8 inches or so in diameter and if memory serves (been a few days since i looked at it) the opening is not in the middle. The inlet/outlet would also pose a challenge for sure.

In general though is there nothing inside a standard septic tank? Its just an open tank on the inside?

·
Premium Member
18,068 Posts
The tank I have is ribbed all the way around but the opening is probably only 8 inches or so in diameter and if memory serves (been a few days since i looked at it) the opening is not in the middle. The inlet/outlet would also pose a challenge for sure.

In general though is there nothing inside a standard septic tank? Its just an open tank on the inside?
Most tanks are one compartment, some septic tanks have two compartments. Two compartment tanks do a better job of holding scum and sludge back from entering your drainfield.

In a typical standard one compartment septic tank, the only things that is inside are inlet and outlet baffles....which are very important to have. It seems that it would be virtually impossible to install good baffles in your tank.

·
Banned
17,258 Posts
If you note how the tank in the diagram is constructed you will see how easy it will be to reproduce with your tank.
A little plumbing and Cutting another access hole should give you a serviceable system.
Want even better ? Add another tank.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post but my septic tank needs to be replaced. So my question is do I need a special type tank or will a regular water tank work? I have a 750 gallon water tank that came off a water truck that is in practically new condition. Is there any reason that wouldn't work?
750 does sound small. I've got a 2 bed/1 bath and our county required a dual 500 gal tank system with above ground mound drain field but that's because of our water table.

If 1000 was required for our small set up, I'd guess 750 would be too small for 4 person

·
Registered
433 Posts
One thought/question on the number of people in the house. Of the 4 are any going to be moving out or going to college in the near future? If so, then maybe that should be a consideration when looking at tank size.

·
Premium Member
18,068 Posts
The bigger they are the longer they last between pumping. I've seen a 55 barrel used.
This is correct. A 750-gal tank one compartment tank will work. It should pumped more often than a 1000-gal or a 1250-gal tank. If you go with modifying the tank you have, one item I would highly recommend is the use of an effluent filter in the outlet baffle. Heck, I would recommend the use of an effluent filter for any septic system.

·
Banned
17,258 Posts
Cabin Fever knows way more about this poop than the rest of us.
One thing I've noticed in the garbage business is how variable families are.
We had a family with five adults and seven kids that didn't make 20 gallons of garbage a month.
We also had a single girl that filled a two yard dumpster every week.
Familes vary.

·
Registered
498 Posts
septic tanks are not that expensive. Buy the size rated for how many bedrooms and bathrooms you have. If you are able to install it yourself do it according to local requirements and take pictures along the whole process. Removing a system poorly installed will be more expensive. Do you have nosey neighbors?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts