septic first, or well

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OrganicGuy, May 12, 2005.

1. OrganicGuy

OrganicGuy Active Member

Hi all, sorry I've been gone so long I was building drums with my Father in Tierra Amarilla New Mexico for a few weeks. My question is should I get the septic in as soon as possible or concentrate on the well first. I am lucky to have a family member who will foot the bill for a nice spot on the 80 acres to call home. ( my Mom). I can get both done this year but was just wondering if someone can convince me to get the well and use the septic money for something else first? I will be building one of Mike's 50$ and up underground houses/ fallout shelter to live in until I can complete my custom Earthship.
    I really missed all of you, will be in touch when I get back from meeting with the perc. test engineer and well drillers. Anyone gonna be near St. Johns Arizona later this month, maybe someone can school me on how to pick a nice spot with a great southern exposure???
    Have a Gr8t Day

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

I would put the well in first, You can always use saw dust toilet.

3. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

I agree with kathy. And besides, a septic with no water has no use... that is, if it will be some time between the two tasks. Though, I've heard of people doing the septic first and hauling water for the toilet, filling the tank to flush. Maybe it's just me, but I like to turn a faucet handle and have water come out.

That's just my two cents, because we don't have either one yet. We haul water when we need it and share the woods with the bears since we don't have septic yet... but we don't live there full-time yet.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Will TBTB require a septic? Are you sure? Go check. If they don't MAKE you have one, then don't waste your money. You absolutely need water. If you can get a well for a reasonable price then do so. That includes the pump. But do your homework up front on well location. Sometimes the 'locals' will know locations that you should or should not drill. For instance, one place I lived I was told not to buy property in front of a certain ridge because there was no water, but if I could buy behind it I would prob hit good artesian water.

Good luck.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............The Best person to consult about water in the area you have chosen is to find a successful water well driller and ask him where he consistently hits wells that produce potable water . Then , I'd start looking for land in that general area . Without water all else is a Moot point in my opinion . fordy.. :)

6. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

7. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Yes, check the local code. Where we are, if you have more than 10 acres they don't even require septic... a simple leachfield will do. (But we want septic anyway).

As far as finding water goes, a friend two mountains away has paid three separate times for well drilling, and come up dry all three times. They give no guarantees, so he's just out the money. He now hauls water that he buys from the town in a old fire (tank) truck.

My neighbor witches for water and says he never misses. Hhhmmm. Do I dare trust his abilities with my $3000 for drilling? I should try that dowsing thing myself. Folks around us swear by it. Wonder if it'll work for ME?

8. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Dig the well!
    Tana Mc