Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a previous project I called the local guy to have my 1000g septic cleaned out. After getting ripped out for waiting so long for the pumping and his extra efforts to get if done he made me an offer. He would spread it on his way out. Our driveway was 1/2 mile long and he wouldn't start until clear down the road away from the house and out in the pastures (grazing not tilled). He assured me it wouldn't be a risk and there was not going to be any livestock in that area until the next year. So we agreed. Six months later is was obvious where his path was. The grass was thicker and greener by far. I was really impressed.

Of course it was not legal. Our soil was very sandy loam and the liquids of course disappeared almost immediately. I still ponder that to this day.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'legal' can easily be debated.

Your field may not have been a Health Department approved location to dump his load. That is far different from 'illegal'.

I have seen honey trucks spreading their goods out in a hay field many times. Nobody cares.
OK, agreed. The area was 1.9 people per square mile. Where we are now is is even more sparse.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Humanure from local municipal waste water treatment plants is a common free fertilizer around here. I am not one to judge and have no problem with chicken litter or hog waste as fertilizer. But, there is enough prozac and narcotics from a city waste water operation to make me not want to eat meat from anywhere but here.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I have had it sprayed on my fields in Missouri.
Free fertilizer is hard to turn down. I just have no desire to eat the livestock raised on it. The folks that I learned from and helped me get started around here all do it; but, I'll just have a slimmer margin than they and know that I am not getting dosed....well, from that anyway.

Reactions: Fishindude

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Humanure from local municipal waste water treatment plants is a common free fertilizer around here. I am not one to judge and have no problem with chicken litter or hog waste as fertilizer. But, there is enough prozac and narcotics from a city waste water operation to make me not want to eat meat from anywhere but here.
If you ever saw what they feed cattle at feedlots, you would probably never eat store bought meat again.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,243 Posts
City sludge was used on golf courses and in parks in Austin, which led to a bit of controversy.

“Some opponents of the use and sale of Dillo Dirt claim that it contains above-normal amounts of heavy metals and fluoride that will inevitably find their way back into the human food supply.[3] The city, however, states that the metal levels are well below the federal allowable levels.[4] The city does not test for radioactivity or pharmaceutical residue because it is cost prohibitive. Since people routinely flush medications down the toilet against the city's recommendation, Dillo Dirt may contain pharmaceutical residue in some batches. Some medical residue is radioactive from treating cancer patients.”

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If you ever saw what they feed cattle at feedlots, you would probably never eat store bought meat again.
It is better than it used to be, at least around here. These last few years, I cannot criticize their practices in this neck of woods. I cannot speak to the feedlots in other areas.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Growing up hunting a local farm who's owner was the son in law of the town honey dipper and eventually in the biz. had a mold and vibe table in the barn making tanks and was running dad's pumpers. We'd get around one of the upper fields and there find a 8 ft wide 4 ft deep ditch running a few hundred yards to a retention pond where he was dumping is honey... Dig a new ditch next year and cover this one. Honey farming. That was the early 70's and I would think no longer common practice in eastern PA.

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Not a good idea. Untreated human waste is dangerous stuff. I've worked on many waste water treatment plants and they always require you to have current hepatitis vaccinations, no open cuts, proper PPE, etc. Plumbers go through a significant amount of training on the hazards of raw sewage in their aprentiship training.

Also - Around here, you can't even spread liquid livestock waste on the surface of the ground, it has to be knifed in to minimize run off into the watershed and minimize the odor.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,243 Posts
Different locations have different codes.

Wastewater and sludge from municipal sources are different from your own septic tank.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I shudder to think what happens to these pump-out loads after they leave your property, and the OP's story is most likely indicative of what really happens.

It costs money to do anything else with the stuff, over and above what they charge to pump it out, even though it isn't the best thing overall to just dump it.

It also makes me wonder why the health departments beat you up so badly at the front-end, getting a septic system in place, perc tests from h***, to-the-inch measurements of this and that, but then the sludge doesn't get the same treatment on the back-end?

Thank goodness for bacteria wars ...

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
It is better than it used to be, at least around here. These last few years, I cannot criticize their practices in this neck of woods. I cannot speak to the feedlots in other areas.
On the west end of El Paso, Tx along I-10 there is ten miles of dairys and feed lots. When you drive by you have to roll up your windows, because the stench will make your eyes water. And it doesn't smell like cow manure.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don’t think any one is shooting sewage out of the truck in my area .
I know the farmers all keep log books of where they empty the pudding wagon every day .
I’ve been trying to get him to drop some cow dookie at my place so I can make some dirt for growing but no luck yet . He told me he could full my truck but he can’t deliver it .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts