Seperating sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by eb, Sep 16, 2003.

1. eb

eb Well-Known Member

Question.

I am getting a small flock of sheep next week. 2 rams and 6 ewes ranging from 6 mos to 3-4 years.

I know I need to keep the rams seperate until I want to breed them...question is, is it crazy to keep the rams w/in sight of the ewes even with a decent fence seperating them? Am I asking for trouble?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You need to have excellent fences not just decent. It won't matter if they can see each other or not, the rams will know where the ewes are regardless. (and vice versa) There is a good reason to have that excellent fence seperating the ewes but allowing close contact. With access to the rams that close the ewes with synchronize their heat cycles and you will tighten up lambing time. A teaser ram is a vasectomized ram that can not breed but is an entire ram, that is run with the flock to synchronise the flock. Not a big deal on 6 ewes but it helps with medium to large flocks.

3. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

Like Ross stated, you must have really really really good fencing. My ram has destroyed fencing in years past when seperating him from the ewes. This year we put him in the sheep shed. He pushed at the door so hard the lock, a huge hook and eye combination, pulled right out of the wall. The second time, he busted through a wood fence inside the sheep shed. Three inch long nails won't hold him. Becky

4. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I use cattle panels wired to T-posts to seperate my guys from my girls. Not the best of situations, according to the books, since they can see and sniff at each other through the panels. But, I have never had a ram knock the fence down, try to jump over it and when I do put them together 145 days later I start getting little ones. It works for me and my small flock of 20 ewes, the big guy,his wether companion and the 4 ram lambs that we still are growing.

I can tell that love is in the air lately. My girls are starting to flirt! I'll be getting the marking harness polished and turning the big guy loose with the girls soon.

5. H A F

H A F Member

One method of ram fencing that I have seen used quite successfully is to put a strand of electric fencing right at head butting height. The rams will run up to the fence to intimidate their neighbor, but won't touch it.

6. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

Eb, I am so glad you asked this question because we will be maintaining a small flock ourselves with 1 ram initially and later 2.

We've decided to divide the pasture areas but no way can we keep them from seeing or hearing each other. :) The ram night pen and shelter will be wood posts with 5' welded wire and electric wire. I hope to utilize a mobile electric wire/post set up for grazing to rotate all the sheeps grazing paddocks.

Will that be enough to discourage the ram(s) from bolting to see the ewes?

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

electric is fine some of the time but if it ever goes off or they find it does not get trough their thick wool/head they will never stay in ! we sepertae our guys across the yard behind page wire . even then they have been known to jump tall buildings with amasing strength !! have three boys in the barn behind six foot chain link and fed hay after they deicided we needed december lambs . we have never had much luck with electric even with the ground rod under water we got one going through the fence then the rest would follow however have seen lotsa sheep behind one or two strands . for rams pig tite and bull strong works well !!! :twisted: