separating bunnies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Deb&Al, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

hello,
    we got two dwarf lops about three months ago. they were just weaned. we asked for two females. we have them in a huge cage, and they have the freedom of roaming around, with supervision, in the room they are in. they are very attached to each other, and groom each other and sleep all cuddled up to each other.

wellllll, we "caught" them in the act the other day, and looked at their nether-regions, and sure enough, one is a male.

we've got another cage, and we're going to put them side by side, and only let one out at a time for roaming around their "playroom".

here is the question...this is our first bunny experience. what will be the effect for them in separating them into two cages?

we got two to begin with, and supposedly of the same sex, so they would have company.

thanks a bunch.
    debbie

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

If they are side by side they can still keep each other company. I house all my bunnies separately.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

i have heard that you can nueter a male fabbit. if you were to do that then they could spend as much time with each other as they used to. I would think that a standard vet could do the job, although i am not sure. Well bye.

4. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

thanks for the answers. i'll check with our vet. but, when we got our chihuaha, it was 60 bucks. if it's that much for a rabbit, i think he'll have to be in another cage.

they really are sweet. they love to be petted and held. i've had dogs and cats, and now bunnies. i have to say, if i could only have a cat or a bunny, i would pick the bunny. :)
    debbie

5. Goat Freak

Well, I am not really sure about this, but I have seen pictures of a male rabbits testicles, and they look big enough that you could go ahead and castrate himself. if you have no clue, or do not feel confident, do not do it. all you do is make a little incision, pop em' out, and cut them off, then sew it up. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not, if it is not someone please say so.

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

VERY BAD IDEA unless your wanting to cook rabbit anyhow ,,

rabbits are NOT like goats ,, they will die of shock before you could get it sewed back up ,,

they do not respond well to antethesia (sp?) ,,

spaying for a rabbit is expensive ,,

rabbits are one animal you cannot practice vet skills on ,,

7. Goat Freak

Sorrym but thank you for correcting me. I really have no clue about rabbits, just figured that if it works with one animal, maybe just maybe it would work for another. Once again thank you for saying otherwise. Bye.

8. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

I had to be told the same thing ,, I'm born & raised country and 'know' about 'banding' baby billies ,, or pigs or calfs ,, they take banding useually with no problems ,, :)

rabbits can die of shock ,, I've read posts where people have had dogs break into buildings and just bark and raise cain at the rabbits ,, no actual 'contact' ,, and the people have had rabbits just die of a heart attack ,, drop over from being scared by the dogs ,, loose litters by aborting ,, all just by being barked at by a strange dog :mad: ,,

and if its a favorite rabbit you can just look sideways at it and somethings sure to happen ,, murphys law ,, the neighbor starting up a lawnmower or chainsaw unexpectedly ,,

my neighbors like to SHOOT off fireworks after dark ,, loud ones ,, :grit: that shoot up into the air and bang and creat big sparkles in the sky ,, :rolleyes:

9. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

debbie,

I would have the buck neutered by a Vet. Tammy is correct, rabbits can keel over dead from stress. Also, stress lowers their immune system, leaving them more likely to get sick. My DD is a Vet. and has told me that she has no problem neutering buck rabbits. If your Vet. is not experienced with the proper procedures for this, find another Vet.

Reading this thread may be helpful: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=101033

Good luck,
    MikeL