Separating Boars and Sows?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by kanpope, Jul 4, 2006.

1. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

We got our pigs! :baby04: We got 4 Yorks and a Hamp boar! They are three months old. We are going to keep the boar and two of the sows to breed later and planning on butchering the other 2 females in a few months.

I have one concern/question that I am hoping that someone can help me with...

We are going to pasture them. At what age do I have to separate the uncastrated male from the females? I have read that the boar will reach sexual maturity at 7-ish months, so does that mean that they can all hang out together until then? :shrug: When we separate them, will the electric fencing be enough to stop him from going after the girls?

Any information you can offer would be greatly apprecaited! :help:

2. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Congratulations on finding your pigs! :) Anywhere from 5-7 months your gilts will start going into heat. I don't think it would be detrimental to them to be bred as long as they are on a good nutritional program. An electric fence is nothing to a determined boar unless he has been trained to it and respects it. Your gilts have just as much a chance of going to him though. Don't think he will be the one who needs to be restrained. I've had gilts jump 42 -46 inches when they are in heat. One of my gilts would dig into the boar's pen to breed and later go out and refilll the hole to keep him in there. I would build a pen specifically for him to keep him contained and just for security and some control in your breeding program.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Tango has pretty well "broke it down" for you. I would have that Boar in MAXIMUM SECURITY LOCKDOWN from time gilts are 5.5 months old until they are 8 months old. Breeding a Gilt too young will not allow her to develop to her full PIG potential, LOL.

5. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Nothing more to add really. Don't have a gilt farrow before 12 months and don't forget the gestation is 3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days. Good luck!