Registered
40,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the text

Here is what CNN says is in it.
$750 million to help states implement and run crisis intervention programs
This money can be used to implement and manage red flag programs

Closing the so-called boyfriend loophole
This legislation closes a years-old loophole in domestic violence law that barred individuals who had been convicted of domestic violence crimes against spouses, or partners with whom they shared children or cohabitated with, from having guns.

Requires more gun sellers to register as Federally Licensed Firearm Dealers
The bill goes after individuals who sell guns as primary sources of income but have previously evaded registering as Federally Licensed Firearm Dealers.

More thorough reviews of people ages 18-21 who want to buy guns
The bill encourages states to include juvenile records in the National Instant Criminal Background Check system with grants, as well as implement a new protocol for checking those records. It gives NICS three days to review an individual's record.

Creates new federal statutes against gun trafficking and straw trafficking

Increases funding for mental health programs and school security

·
Registered
40,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since most of the above is redundant legislation for laws already on the books, can you just highlight the text referring to funding stronger school security and resource officer training?
I think the biggie in it is the bribe for states to fly a red flag

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
2,947 Posts
Seems to me that they should simply pass a law making it a Federal crime punishable with a mandatory minimum 5-year sentence in Federal prison---with no suspended time, no probation, and no time off for good behavior---for use of a firearm in committing a crime.

And double that if the firearm was stolen.

Didn't we do that several years ago and it started filling up Federal prisons and courts and then got deleted/ignored/ruled racially discriminatory based upon statistics? Or am I thinking about an illegal drug use law?

·
Registered
14,883 Posts
What is easy and incremental is to continue to elevate misdemeanor behavior into felonies.
Hanging felonies on folks will prevent them from ever legally owning a firearm, and the difference is that a typical non violent felon is likely to abide by his sentence over a thug.
Tax evasion can be a felony for example. What does the failure to properly file your taxes have to do with the risk of using a gun in the commission of a crime?
Busted for carrying a handgun while dealing fentanyl or heroin isn't likely to prevent that guy from carrying a gun again, however.
The upside for the anti gun crowd is that felonies can be pleaded down to fines over jail time, to avoid prison overcrowding, push the revenue stream to the government while knocking down the number of the "just got caught" average joe and jane who can still claim their right to owning firearms.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd have to know the source first... right now it's just some anonymous meme with a thumb blocking part of it.

Since your too lazy to do your own research here is the link

"When courts determine challenged administrative actions to be unreasonable or to involve abuses of discretion, those actions are declared null and void, as are actions that are judged inconsistent with constitutional requirements when courts exercise judicial review in the conventional or constitutional sense."

"Constitutional judicial review is usually considered to have begun with the assertion by John Marshall, fourth chief justice of the United States (1801–35), in Marbury v. Madison (1803), that the Supreme Court of the United States had the power to invalidate legislation enacted by Congress"

"

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Since your too lazy to do your own research here is the link
Hey dip :poop:

Since you're not bright enough to realize that I wanted the source of the meme... not the obvious source of the Marbury v. Madison quotes, I'll rephrase my question:

What is the source of the meme that somebodies thumb wants to go viral???

Need I explain the obvious to you even more?

Further, it is customary for the o.p. to provide sources for the information they post. Do you require information regarding that also?

BTW... I would have phrased this much more civilly had you presented your erroneous response as a normal adult would. It is usually desirable to have your own ducks in a row before attacking someone.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The source is anonymous. The digit is an index finger, not a thumb.
Thanks... though I generally agree with the sentiment, I'm not inclined to pass on things without knowing where they came from.

Having said that, Tench Cox spoke of when action could possibly be appropriate, but he warned heaviy against overreaction regarding addressing grievances.

Reactions: Kiamichi Kid
1 - 12 of 12 Posts