semi-permanent tree tags

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone have ideas for semi-permanent tree tags? I was thinking canvas strips. It needs to be something light-weight for plane travel, water and weather proof or resistant. If it could be painted a bright color that would be even better. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

Cut up an aluminum can into strips. Write on it with a ball point pen. Use a hole punch to punch a hole in one end. Use a little baling wire to attach it to the tree.

3. Sparticle

That's a good idea! but I need to modify my request a little. It has to be highly visible. How well would aluminum hold up to a bright paint? There doesn't need to be any markings on it, it's going to mark a path and needs to be visible. There aren't going to be very many of them and binoculars will be used. Wonder if you could get away with bailing wire and aluminum stips if checked on a plane? I don't think we could get away with tin snips and seriously doubt there will be any available where my friend and I are going.

4. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

They'd work great if you sprayed them with day-glo paint.

5. Sparticle

Great thanks! So you think it would withstand a harsh rainy season and the paint wouldn't wash off of the aluminum?

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Surveyors tape Comes in bright colors and will last a couple of years About $2 a roll

7. Sparticle

I thought about that, but it tears easily. Maybe we can use that in addition to the other suggestions. This is in a jungle along a coast and I think with all the animals and weather, I'd be afraid it wouldn't hold up. Don't worry, no trees are going to be cleared. :) There is going to be a small footpath as close to the property's border as it can and there is already a small natural clearing along a lagoon.

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

It wont tear once its around the tree. Ive got trails I marked with it 4 years ago that still have the tape, although the color has faded.

How about these?:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~liquidgraphics/

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Several people in my family history ran sawmills, dad always wanted to.

Metal & trees don't mix well. That was drilled into me when I was real little.

I'd not want to put wire around a tree. It will grow into the expanding trunk, and weaken, or kill, or at least disfigure the tree a bit. Also dangerous for sawing it later on in life......

--->Paul

10. Sparticle

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thanks!

11. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you are wishing to just mark the trail, or if you are also naming the tree?

Sometimes it's just fun to be asked questions like that just to see what my brain will toss out as a possible idea. This time, I was thinking...dipping whatever you make the marker out of, paint it with, into a protective clear sealer? Then, I thought if it's just to mark the trail...you know those plastic things that spin in the breeze. They're easy to spot and come in a huge varity. And they seem to last for years.

It's okay if you have the urge to laugh and some of the things my whimsical brain comes up with -- I've done that often myself. Along with those "what was I thinking?" moments after the fact.

Hugs
    marlene

12. Sparticle

This is to mark a trail. But whatever we come up with has to be able to be carried in checked luggage on a plane and anything we are going to do will have to come with. This is a VERY remote jungle area and there is no hardware store to run to for supplies. It has to withstand a great deal of rain and weather.