Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always read about cheese or milk selling/making but was wondering if any one sells yogurt made from their goats milk. Has anyone tried or currently is selling it? Could you tell of what your "market" is like with this item. How do you sell it? What containers do you use and what equipment to make it? Do you add any thing such as fruit? What setup do you have for making the yogurt?
I would also like to know if anyone does this in Ohio and can give me an overview of laws regarding the making & selling of Yogurt.
lots of questions but wanted to get it from multiple real people instead of just reading from 1 "big time " person on the net.
Thank you ahead for all responses.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It will fall under the dairy regulations in your state - most likely the same laws and licenses that apply to milk sales. (At least that's how it is in Texas)

I know a couple people who sell it here - and they use plastic bottles - like you would get juice or smoothies in. Not sure what equipment they use to make it - except that one runs a raw dairy and one does pasteurized - so one of them at least uses a pasteurizer.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I tried that yogurt one time, but I wasn't flexible enough to get in all those poses they want ya to do, so I had to give it up.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I checked into selling Kefir in GA.... it didn't matter if the milk was pasteurized before or not, what is mandated here is the dairy has to be pasteurized after it's processed, before being sold. Perhaps the Kefir would have tasted the same, but I was going to sell kefir authentically made from grains, not the cultured stuff. Heat will kill off all the good bacteria and so ended my career as the Kefir Lady.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been searching the net all day and just cant seem to find information on what regulations would be for making/selling it in ohio. I looked under dairy regulations but cannot find anything specific to yogurt. Any tips on what it would be under so i can define a search?
I have emailed a woman who does a co-op of goat milk & their products but am not sure if she will respond. that is mainly what i have searching into- the co-op "shares" plan aspect of dairy goats and doing as she does- selling shares of their milk plus the making of chosen products such as cheese and yogurt. I just thought there were more people who actually made products to sell along with their milk- who frequent the forum.
The listing I found for her also had a phone number so If i do not receive an email response this week, i will call her after the weekend.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm not sure which department at the state level you would call in Ohio, but you might want to try the Board of Health or the Department of Agriculture. I would think either one would be able to direct you to the correct person or department to answer your questions or give you the link to read up on the regulations.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually the woman I contacted wrote me this very morning and sent along forms, rules regulations guidelines for operating a farm share of a goats dairy & the making of value added products. I hope to visit her place this summer if she does not mind my inexperienced hands tagging along her day : ) so i can see first hand, her operations.
Thank you for the reply 's. I have tried contacting the dept. of agriculture and either no returned calls or I get alot of "B.S" since they seem to not know what i am asking.They would try to sound like they know how to answer but in the end transfer me to someone else who was not at their desk. i hate run arounds.
Thanks again.
~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts