selling wood

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by commomsense, Nov 7, 2005.

1. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Whats the going rate of a truck load of wood in your area? Here in southern WV its going around $50 a load. Last year it was going for around $35 a load.

2. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

$100 A CORD! about 30 higher then last year

3. OneWheelBiting

OneWheelBiting Redneck Hippy

4. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

In CT it's getting up to $185 per cord

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Hardwood 6 month dry $225 a cord...a full cord not face

6. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

WOW!! We would be lucky to $75 Here in southern WV.

7. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We pay $120.00 for a cord of oak and have to go get it and bring it home ourselves.

8. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

In New Brunswick it is up to CDN$175 for a full cord split and delivered of what they call mostly Maple, which is mostly Maple and Birch with some other hardwoods. Just a few years ago you could get it for $125 a cord, so it has gone up. Most people that use more than a cord or two find a cheaper source, split and deliver it themselves, or grow their own.

9. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

You can get scrap wood from a local lumberyard VERY cheap (sometimes free) if you are lucky enough to live near one. That's how we got most of our wood for firing ceramics. It takes a while to chop because it's all reject, gnarled pieces or really long, thin cuttings... but it's well worth it.

10. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

In NY state it sells for 75.00 to 100. per facecord. That will fill a standard pickup truck.

11. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Here in Southeatern Ontario hardwood is selling for $175 a full cord slit and delivered as well.

12. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

South Texas I have seen it $35-$50 a cord. Sometimes there are offers to come pick it up for free if you bring your chain saw :)

Sam

13. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

My neighbor sells wood, you wouldn't believe the gargantuan piles of wood that move in and out of his yard every week. Well, being homesteaders, maybe you would!

He drives up to DC and charges 4 times the amount he charges down here. He said he had this guy in Norther VA, a doctor, no less, pay him $1200 to cut down some trees, then another $300 to haul them away. Then the guy called the next week and paid him $800 to buy some firewood!!! My neighbor just thought that was the funniest thing. He basically doubled his profits by selling the wood back to him.

14. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

Opps ok I have to correct myself the hubbie just informed me how much a cord is hahaha.

I have no idea who much it goes for here I was thinking more of a small pile of wood that they sell at the side of the road.

Sam

15. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

full cord? 4'x4'x8'? here in Michgan we call it a pulp cord because most wood that size goes to paper mills. I buy mine in 20 cord loads, and untill this year a 20 cord load was $975. that lasts me about 3 years. Next spring I will be paying $1200 for a 20 cord load. By the looks of this thread we have it pretty good

16. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

$350 delivered for a full cord of 14-16" size pieces, a little less for the more common 17-18" stuff.

17. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

here we get $100 for a full cord, and multiple cords may get a discount of $5 or so depending upon who it is hauling it.... 70 miles in the city the same wood sells nearly double this year, more than enough to haul it there and sit in wally world til someone asks you to deliver the wood to their house... usually about 2.5 hours for the extra $75 or so per cord plus the extra drive, but hauling 2 cord makes it worth it....

I know several folks who take wood to Portland area for the added dollars they get but unless i was driving over to see my kin i would not even consider a 9 hour drive with a load of wood on.

William

18. mamacags

mamacags Well-Known Member

$150.00-200.00 a cord delivered in SW Pennsylvania