selling rocks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordson major, Dec 31, 2006.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

anyone here sell rocks too landscapers? :shrug: for years we have been cursing them! from potatoes to volkswagon size we have removed them from the fieldsby the ton! :flame: was at a christmas party for the township and was asking the roads boss what they were doing with all the boulders a contractor had turned up when installing sewer/water mains down a road. when he told me the contractor had sold these ordnary gray rocks for $500. a pop i started adding up all the rocks of that size (and bigger) we had in our fence rows! :dance: :dance: they even want smaller ones!! :dance: :baby04: :dance: heck, they come and pickum they will be real cheap! :p boy will the farmer next door who pushed up a bunch of bigguns over our side of the fence line be ticked when we get $$$$ for them! :nono:

2. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

There's a guy who comes around sometimes with a modified log truck. He has padding on the grapples, he only wants big boulders with lots of moss growing on them and the moss can't be damaged. Wraps each individual boulder in 2 or 3 blankets when he loads them.

3. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

We have no rocks on our property. I'd guess that we maybe found 3 small stones when we broke a lot of new ground for the garden.

I wish we did. If I want a rock, I have to buy it.....

4. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Good for you, Ford! I hope you sell lots of rocks.

We don't have rocks here either - well, the odd hog-sized one where they've excavated the ponds. We're in the process of buying "black rock" to fill in the boggy bits around the barn. Sigh. Never had that problem in Seeley's Bay.

5. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Hey, if you want some. I'll give you some. You just gotta come and get them. ;)

Here they have crews that go around and gather them up for sale. They give you the land owner about 80.00 bucks a pallet (about 1000 lbs.). They give the guy stacking 20.00 a pallet. And they sell them for 120.00-150.00. It's almost a racket here.
    Their is soo much rock on our property that I often figure if I got layed off for a while I could pay off the property and live on it just from stacked stone sales. Look up "Pennsylvania blue stone" on google.

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

here they want the flat creek rock if you put them on a pallet and bring them there its 50 bucks a ton if they come they pay 10 bucks a ton they sell out of state for 400 bucks a ton

7. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

THey had to make some kind of law here in TN. Guess they were going along the iterstate and getting them off the side of the road. Talked about someone made 200,000 a year doing this. Just makes me feel dumb as a rock :)

8. stanb999

Here is two pictures of the rock walls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have over 1000 feet probably closer to 2000. They also are scattered everywhere.

This is in the middle of my soon to be cattle pasture. I've tried to use them where I can as fence but they not really tall enough in most places(3-4 ft only).

9. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Stanb999,

I have rock envy...

I have a lot of raised beds and smaller walls that I need to build and have nary a rock to do it with.
    <sigh>
    I hate spending money on rocks, of all things.

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Stan, Did the rock wall come with your farm, or did you build it? I would love to see it in person when the leaves are on the trees, and the cattle are in the field. You really should make a series of color photos of it and other heart warming sites near you, and try to get them in one of Reimans magazines. Birds and Blooms - Country - Country Extra.
    Got any more photos we could enjoy? Thanks for posting these.

11. stanb999

They came with the land. They are nice when built but really hard to build. I am currently trying to fix them back to original. It may take the rest of my life.

12. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

When I bought my land (prime corn growing ground), I told the seller I was disappointed it didn't have any rocks. He looked at me like I was out of my mind of course.

Here, granite boulders sell for 75 cents a pound retail at the quarry (1500 dollars a ton!). There's a lot of money in those rocks. . .

Limestone is everywhere here, so it goes for about 50 dollars a ton delivered. That's not milled to any shape for building of course.

13. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

There is lots of money in rock, the problem as a landowner in getting a good piece of the pie.

If you have lots of rock, chances are so do your neighbors. Chances are your neighbors will sell it for $10 less a ton then you and you for $10 less then them. Supply and demand. Price plummets, the only guys making money are the wholesalers and installers. If you can get $20 a ton for rock picked off your property, you are doing very well. Far more typical is less then $5.

Imagine you found out your neighbor was getting some guy to come over and fill a tandem axle dump truck (about 15 ton) with rocks he didn't even want and was getting $300 a load. How long would it take for you to go over and tell the rock picker he could pick your property for $250 a load? Next guy says $200, pretty soon the contractor is getting them for $50 a load.

Pete

14. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Your timing was impeccable as I was looking at a catalog just last evening and thinking of ordering a couple of geodes from it. Figured my grandson should learn about them firsthand. Perhaps he would never again just look at a rock as being a rock without hidden secrets.

When I was a kid we used to have a handicapped traveling McNess product saleman come around once a month. His hobby was rocks and a few times I sent rocks with him to cut and polish, for a fee of course. He cut, polished, and set a rainbow agate for my mother. Quite a number of people wanted to purchase it. I remember one offer of $100, this clear back in the 1950s.

Most all of the rock where I live is mixed in with heavy clay for roads, or has been hauled in and is limestone. The rest of the boulders/rocks has weather down over time into sand. We have plenty of that. It warms the soil nicely in the spring and holds the heat until late in the fall. Good for gardening if you mix in amendments and keep it fertilized and watered.

Great looking fences but I don't envy your task nor the rocks in your fields and pastures. Sans rocks can be good.

15. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

We have plenty of rocks, some boulders and a knob overlooking one of our lakes that is solid stone. I couldn't imagine selling our stone as we have so many uses for it. I've been doing some dry stack retaining walls (nothing compared to Stans walls).

I also want to try doing wall forms for cement and including plenty of rocks in the walls both as fill and for aesthetic reasons. I'll include some rebar hoops at the top so that they can be lifted with a front end loader and a wire rope sling. I think this would be a nice way to build a sauna.

I also have plans for building a wood heated hot tub nestled in where the spillway goes down from our dam. It would be made out of cement and stone laid into forms with a nice flat stone area around it.

I figure we can fill the hot tub from the lake when we plan on using it and then once the water has cooled down a bit we can drain it back into the spillway.

We also have a spring which I am going to start opening up and developing in 2007. I use stones for bases for bridges I have built in our property. There are lots of things you can use stones for.

Now granted, sometimes I think we have been overly blessed with them.

Mike

16. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Almost ditto- having lived with rocks it's nice to only have them where I want them, sad to have to pay money for them when we need them. So far I have found ONE apparently native rock (2 feet down digging fence posts) which is probably just well compressed claysand which would dissolve quick in water especially if running. Digging for our pool all they bring up are chunks of firm clay.

17. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Iowa has granite!? well, I guess I learned something today...

I'm terribly envious that some of you are rock 'poor' and have more rock than you know what to do with.

18. ecbreed

ecbreed Well-Known Member

Well, I could supply everyone on this board. If ya'll wanted to come get them!!!!!!! I have Piles and piles!!!

19. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

LOL made me think of CW Mc CAlls song where he says when I say a rock I mean a ROCK!
    I was raised in Alaska where this first car I owned was a Datsun Pickup that I dug up out of the garden while clearnig rocks.
    Wanna see a mad Dad? He comes home from manuvers and finds a 40X 40 4 foot deep hole and the drive full of rocks from baseball to washmachine size....LOL thats where he told me to put them . Screams at me that he just wanted me to pick the stones outa the Dirt him and mom both busted agut when I said I was STILL looking for some(dirt)!

20. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

its against the law to pick them on the road here allso