selling raw wool

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sarah trone, Mar 24, 2004.

1. sarah trone

sarah trone Guest

Does anyone know how a lady can sell colored wool? I don't know anything here, and I'm trying to find an elderly friend and outlet for her wool, so that here sheep can start paying their way a bit. She has a herd of about 42, all different colors. This past winter she spent her whole Social security check of Hay for them.

2. oakhillhubbards

oakhillhubbards Well-Known Member

You've probably had this in a PM, but there is a forum that many folks here *also* participate in, called of all things, "Today's Homestead".

There is a thread on it called Fiber Chat. I bet these folks can help.
    Here's the link:
    www.countryconceptsllc.com

Jeanne

3. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

I've seen some on e-bay. I don't know if it sold. All the handspinners around here want alpaca. Sheep wool is no longer good enough for them. I'm using most of my Shetland wool to mulch my garden. I will say it does a great job. Good luck.

4. Bluebonnet

Bluebonnet Active Member

There are people who want raw fleece BUT there is usually one big caveat. Hand spinners who process their own wool tend to want it pretty free of vegetable matter (the nasty VM). Oakhillhubbards posted a good link. There are people there who spin and who can off advice on how to sell. I know that many sell fleece on E-bay. Some of the ladies on the forum buy from E-bay and could probably offer advice.

Brosil I am glad that you are finding a use for your fleece but cry to think of shetland being used as mulch. If it is in decent shape please come on over and tell us what you have. Some of us are likely to be interested. We always want to assist shepherds in marketing their wool because even if we can't use it right now (and we all have stashes) we may want some of yours at a later date.

Good luck to both of you on selling your fleeces.

5. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

You're a great friend!

I have a pal with a couple spinning wheels - don't know if she has cards or not... I'll ask her - I know she was looking for some for doing school programs, demonstrations (and teaching ME, lol!!). I will ask her. And, I'll have her check around, too... She knows a lot of folks round her that do spinning and weaving.

Sue