selling raw milk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cballard, Jun 5, 2006.

1. cballard

cballard Well-Known Member

I live in a small town,never have before and I sure am getting used to the differances lol.I have dairy goats and have generally used the milk for home consumption.I recently sold some to a friend of mine at the senior center,I explained the danger of raw milk.We drink it raw,but I didn't feel comfortable without the disclaimer.Love the stuff.Well,I now have strangers showing up om my doorstep wanting to buy raw milk.I don't know any of these poeple lol.They found out about me through the grapevine.I had gallbladder surgury on friday, so my dad is staying with me,he teases me dope houses have less traffic lol.I am gonna have to put my foot down,theres no milk in the fridge.I printed up info sheets on the dangers of raw milk and how to pasturize on the stovetop.I have a jar exchange program on the front porch,thankfully my neihbors are used to the weirdness.We live in town,have the goats a mile and half away.I even had bottle babies for 2 wks in the backyard.I felt someone might get a good chuckle at my expense lol.I know my dad sure is.I forgive him,he played plumber today.Thanks for letting me good naturely vent. Christina

2. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Here in NC one cannot sell,give away,trade, barter or in anyway let someone have raw milk under severe penalties. But I still love whole milk. We used to get it and make our own butter. Awh, the good old days. Double awh, I remember fresh from our own cows. But then I remember shoveling manure also- :grit: If I knew anyone that would chance it I would be knocking on their door. We did have an "arrangement" with our neighbor but he went to raising calves--now what do I do??

3. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

In Texas you have to have a raw milk license to sell raw milk. The cost is $800.00 for 2 years. They will come and inspect your milking facility every week or month, I can't remember which and charge you each time they come out. I checked on selling raw cow's milk. I decided there was too much intrusion from the government. However, there is a loophole. You can sell raw milk for animal use. What the customer does with it is their business. By the way, there are great benefits to drinking raw milk. You can go to www.realmilk.com to find out more.

4. Dec429

Dec429 Well-Known Member

Arkansas Code
    Title 20. Public Health And Welfare.
    Subtitle 4. Food, Drugs, and Cosmetics
    Chapter 59. Milk And Dairy Products.
    Subchapter 2. Regulation Of Manufacture And Sale Generally

20-59-248. Incidental sales of goat milk not prohibited.

(a) For purposes of this section, "incidental sales of goat milk" are those sales where the average monthly number of gallons sold does not exceed one hundred (100) gallons.

(b) The provisions of this subchapter shall not be construed to prohibit incidental sales of raw goat milk directly to consumers at the farm where the milk is produced or to preclude the advertising of incidental sales of goat milk.

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Most people around here sell it "for pet use." *wink wink nudge nudge*
    Gets you past the regs.

6. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

We tend to find out about it here through the grapevine as well. You should see the traffic the farmer up the road gets! :)

7. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in NY, I'd have to label each jar "For animal use only", or "Not for human consumption".

8. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

be careful hilltop, I do not think that is allowed withoiut a permit.
    steff

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Sell shares of your milk animals to other folks and it's legal check out the web site for raw milk they have sample form you can use.

10. Gresford

Gresford Well-Known Member

I purchase raw cow milk from a farmer in PA. It is illegal in NJ. From what the farmer told me his milk is inspected more often and more stringently than pasteurized milk. I love it! You can taste and see (the cream on top) the difference. I don't think I can ever go back to drinking pasteurized milk or soy milk for that matter. I found him on the website noted by desnri

11. praise4him

praise4him Well-Known Member

They sell raw cows milk here in the health food store. At first they labeled it Pet milk/Not for human consumption. Then they changed it because the government still didn't like it. So it changed to something like, Plant fertilizer or something close. I can see why though. If I were you I would be very careful. Say someone buys your milk, and keeps it out for half a day on the counter and then puts it away in the fridge. Or they clean out the catbox and then pour themselves a nice glass of milk, and they get sick. They won't blame themselves, they will blame you. If I were selling It I would label it for animal consumption only and also give them a sheet that they have to sign acknowledging that. It may be overkill :hobbyhors but in this sue happy society we live in it is necessary.
    Blessings and jusy my humble $.02,
    Jennifer

12. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

I know cow share and herd shares are being done without government prosecution, but gettign insurance to cover the risk is pretty much impossible. If someone contracts e coli like 18 kids apparently did in Washington you may be spending more time fighting a law firm like Marler Clark out of Seattle.

I'm not saying raw milk is bad. Kids that I know who were raised on it never seem to get sick. Its just quite a bit of risk exposure to sell it.

The case in Washington involves 18 people getting e coli from raw milk traced by DNA back to the farm. Two of the children were pretty sick and almost lost their kidneys.

I have some articles about farm liability written by that law firm if your interested.

13. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

14. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

From what my milk inspector tells me the farm in Wash. was not legal and therefor no testing for bacteria or pathogens had been done. That is why it is important to buy from a farm licensed to sell raw or one you know well,like your own. Even the good friend down the road can unknowingly be selling milk with unhealthy bacteria in it even if her goats are healthy. Many of the things that make us sick are always present in the enviroment, like Lysteria, E-Coli and Salmonella.
    As for the realmilk.com site- I love it I am listed there and get customers that live 2-3 hrs away coming for milk all the time.
    Steff

15. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

TENNESSEE
    Summary:
    Raw milk sales for human consumption are illegal.Bla-Bla-bla!
    Raw milk and raw milk product sales for pet consumption are legal, even though the state animal feed laws contain no specific provision about raw dairy products. Producers and sellers must obtain a commercial feed license from the state.

Gessh they covered all there bases here. Oh well guess ill just have to get me a cow one day.Unless theres a law somewhere about drinking it from my own cow.Humm, ill bet there is. :rolleyes:

16. Tessynae

Tessynae Well-Known Member

If there isn't yet you can bet there will be one soon! :flame:

17. farmwife

farmwife Well-Known Member

In Ohio, it is illegal to consume raw milk from your own cow, the way the law is written. We have friends that farm there! They are trying to pass a law in Ohio to get it legal to drink it.

Pretty sad, if I must say!

Also, 17,000 people died back in 1982 from pasturedized milk. They don't tell us of that on the news do they. That we got from a Raw Milk Resource guide.

18. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

Hey Christina

I live in Texas also. I've heard different things on several forums. You may want to see what the state rules are. I have a neighbor up the road that knows I have dairy goats, she keeps asking me about milk, but I've kind of avoided it. I
    would rather just stick with using the milk for my family. Even though I'll let my babies have it, I just worry about getting in trouble for selling milk to other people. I don't know what the fines are. You may want to see if it's really worth the risk. I just keep enough girls around for our family needs.

If I find something, I'll let you know. :)
    Malissa in Texas

19. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

That's also illegal in several states. our state is in the process of adopting legislation that specifically addresses cow and goat shares, eliminating the last legal loophole for selling raw milk here. :flame:

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

That is just the folks that died a lot more were not born because of that pasturized homgenized feces that passes for milk look at the photo's I think it was in the book by weston price's "nutrition and physical degeneration" at the ovaries and testes of animals that are fed on pasturized milk versus normal ovaries and testies.