selling rabbits for meat

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by henryblowery, Apr 15, 2005.

1. henryblowery

henryblowery Member

I have been trying to find out where to sell rabbits for meat but I hav'nt been able to find any place. I'v serched all over the internet and even called my county extention agent but I hav'nt come up with any thing and I was wandering if ya'll could give me a few ideas. Thanks.
    Gray

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

First, please visit the PRMA web site at: http://www.prma.org/ . Under the link for "Processors" you'll find a listing of the participating rabbit processors and buyers. You will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer in order to view it. A link for a free download is also available on the PRMA web site.

Next, I will refer you to Larry Coble at: larrycoble@californianrabbits.com for more information on processors and runners in the Carolinas. I can't seem to get to his web site at: www.californianrabbits.com/meat/ where he has a sign up for his discussion group. Larry provides us with the "Carolina Rabbit Market Report" every two months.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

You can also go to
    www.arba.net
    click on Processors
    and there is a list and include
    phone numbers, prices, needs.
    There are more who are not listed.
    They only list who wants to be, some prefer not to be listed
    publically.
    You might could email them asking about Carolina processors.
    Hope this helps

4. henryblowery

henryblowery Member

Thanks for the help. I joind the messige board and I think they will be of grate help.
    Thanks agin ya'll.
    Gray

5. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

One of the most inportant Buyers you, need and want are your FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS and most important is your own relatives keep you price down alittle frist for these folks then with there help YOU should beabe have fun Here in PA> we can sell i8t at FARMERS MARKETS

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hello Henry ,, theres a rabbit processor over in Siler City right off of Hwy 64 ,, he can't find enough rabbits for his orders ,, is he close enough to you ??

HickoryMoutain@earthlink.net is the e-mail I believe

7. henryblowery

henryblowery Member

Thanks you Tucker. Siler city is about 45 min to a hour away from here. So yes that is close anof. Could you give me some information to get in touch with him? Thanks.
    Gray

8. Have you thought about processing them yourself and selling them. In some states such as here in Oklahoma it is illegal to sell self processed meats. But you can be sneaky about it. A fellar close by here has a sign at the end of his driveway that says "Rabbits for sale". He will sell them to you anyway you want it. Live or processed. From live fryers to adult breeders or fryers already processed. He can't keep stocked up on the processed fryers for very long as he has several heart patience who will buy up all of them.