Selling Rabbit Hay

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ken Scharabok, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Might be an opportunity for more people to do this.

Check out www.bunnybale.com. These folks take a standard bale of timothy or alfalfa hay and repackages it into six pound packages which they sell for $9.80 plus S&H.

On eBay do a search on Hay, then Home and Garden, then Animal Supplies.

I'm wondering if someone couldn't just use a standard trash compactor to create a bale. Line it with a clear plastic bag, compact, tie off and then put on a PC-generated label. To ship, put it inside a paper grocery bag, seal and send.

And, yes, they could just go and buy a regular bale of horse-quality hay at a feedstore a lot cheaper. But then, perhaps they don't want to put a bale in the back of their SUV. On this, I remember reading somewhere about a place which sold bales for horses already in large plastic bags for a couple of bucks more. I suspect the bags might cost say $.25 each, so their ROI would be quite high.

2. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

i seen that a few days ago and thought the same thing. i think it would work if you could figure out how to make em.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Smokie:

I strongly suspect you would have to find your market, rather than it coming to you. However, how many pet stores are in larger cities? Might each be a potential market with delivery perhaps once every other week, adjusting inventory to their sales volume. Spend a day visiting such stores to see if they are stocking anything similar now. If not, perhaps leave them a couple of bags as free samples for them to try to market.

Remember, this hay would also be suitable for other similar species, such as hamsters and guinea pigs, so include it in your marketing approach (such as possibly a label showing a picture of such species).

I know many rabbit growers don't approve of the rabbit pet industry, but might this also be an opportunity to market some of your kits?

4. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

After seeing this thread, I ordererd some timothy bales from bunnybales. I only have one breeding pair so buying a full size bale is just too much for me. I've been buying 3# bags of stale stuff from the pet department of a local farm store. Bunnybales small bales are perfect. I have no financial interest in the company, just passing along my observations. The service was excellent and the hay is fresh and beautiful.

5. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

ken i think your rite, i already have my foot in the door with the kits now and then. now all i have to do is figure out a way to make the mini bails. i will experiment and if i come up with something and it will work i have a few fields for strait timothy and strait alfalfa. i think i know how to do it just havent had time to try it.

6. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

I'll have to check and see if I have a back copy of a publication I get called the Country Grower. In the fall, they advertise a bench top small baler to make novelty type bales for small scale decorating. I'm sure this is what they use. If I find anything, I'll post it. Seems to me it would be easier to use unbaled hay right from the windrow, rather than trying to use hay that's already compressed into bales.

Jay

7. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

i think your rite about using loose hay. i keep all of my rabbit hay loose, and cut it by hand. i didnt even know you could buy a mini bailer for a work bench. if not i dont think they would be hard to make.