Selling Pines

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by akmyilee, Jun 13, 2005.

1. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

Ok, how do I go about doing this? who do I call? What do I tell them.

This is the sinerio......we are looking at 12 acres, really don't need to much but the price and location are right. We will have to put in a road (another question or another post I suppose) back to where we want to build at so we will be cutting down trees to build the road and to clear for the house/yard area. We are also considering turning around selling about half of the poperty (it is set up kind of wierd......to recoup our costs and get us debt free a little fast (or use it to help build the house) We where thinking about harvesting the trees before we sold. Also two sides of us are foresty people that inplant and sell pines so I know that someone is doing it.

What do ya'll think?

oh and btw, Pine does NOT make good firewood right?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

What diameter are these pines when viewed a breast height? How many pines are there per acre? Are you planning on clear cutting. All these are important to determining the end use and probability of getting a havester interested.

3. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

Okay DH is the expert - but what I know. A lot of the guys who do the clearings for new homes usually "haul them off" (and they make the money). You can do a select cut - where you choose which ones go. You can also do a clear cut and wipe out everything. When cutting they need to be a particualr length for "logs" or a particualr length for "pulp wood". All the scraps like limbs and stuff can be sold for "pulp wood". The diameter around is like the size of a dinner plate for monetary value. I can ask him tonight and get back to yah - if you plan to do this you need a BIG truck or trailer. If a loggin company comes into do it - talk percentages and shop around.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Over here, I call a logger when I need to thin or harvest some of our woods. The logger cuts the trees, deals with the mill, and gives me a check for the timber at the end of the deal.

- You have to find a good logger, not an easy task. I live here, I don't want to look out at a mess I just want the trees thinned.

- Make sure you get in writing how much those trees are worth, what percentage the logger gets, and whether he leaves you the larger branches for firewood or hauls them off for chips. Also make sure it's written down that he takes all the trees you want gone, not just the valuable ones.

- Here I have to have a permit from the DNR for any logging done. I own the property and every single tree on it, but without a permit no reputable logger will touch the stand and no reputable mill will take the logs. The regulations may be different in your state, but make sure you check before you cut.

If you like the looks of the neighbor's stand, ask them who does the logging and use that company. Or you can ask at mills for a list of decent loggers. Be really upfront about what exactly you want done with your woods - if you don't want a clear-cut say so. And if the logger gives you any flack about not taking all the marketable timber out, call someone else.

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Talk to your nieghbors about who they have log their stands of timber, and who they sell to, check the ohone book for sawmills [lumber mills, pulp mills] in your area.

Check your property agreement to see if you have a "timber Clause" that allows you to cut the timber and sell it, and how much "stumpage" might be charged back to you if you do.... can be a sticky situation if the sellers put in a timber clause and you cut something you were not supposed to.

Also if selling off the half the property, make sure you do not have to pay off 100% of the purchase price..... which may surprise you with a law suit if you try....

Pine can be used as firewood, it is a softwood and just burns faster than a hardwood, if it is yours, and you have no cost against it, you can burn more of it and stay just as warm.... I mix pine and the western version of hardwood [douglas fir]

As for using the logs for yourself, ask around about a portable sawmill owner in your area.... we are all over, and reasonable to work with for the most part.

William

6. akmyilee

Ok, well, I finally got a person to call me back about lot clearing.......he said that if they aren't much more than 5" in diamiter that I would have a hard time selling them b/c there is too much pulp wood around here.......I would kinda like to use what we cut for ourselves, but everyone is giving me bad time about it. ok every one is husband and his friends at work.....I don't know, I am going to let dh read your posts though......I think he will be able to make more sense of it than me.....:) Thanks

7. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I know what you mean - everyone says "no pine" for the fireplace, but we burn cedar!

8. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Back here in the East we only like to burn real hard woods, But in other parts of the country they burn what is available and this can include "soft woods".

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

you can burn pine if you want as long as it is dry i dont like becouse it burns to fast

10. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

In the deep south where it gets hot the wood of choice for the kitchen cook stove in years past was pine. It would start readily, provide quick heat and when the meal was cooked the pine would have been consumed and the fire out with little residual heat to make the house hotter.

11. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

I have a friend over in Walhalla, SC that has a portable saw mill that goes on lands and cuts the wood there for you. If you need his name and number, let me know.

12. akmyilee

That is really cool about the pine burning out quickly as to not heat up the house for a long time.......and the for the heads up about a portable saw mill. WE are still in the planning stages but I will remember that........

:)