Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble finding clear answers on this. I would love it if someone could post the link to the actual law or code that defines this.

I am trying to figure out what the process is to be able to sell retail cuts of meat from our farm. At like farmers markets etc. we will be wanting to do pork and beef. I understand the process for someone buying whole or half etc and picking up at the processor. Do I just need to have it processed at a USDA inspected facility them I'm good to go? Or?

Any info would be helpful thank you!

I'm located in southwest Michigan

·
Registered
973 Posts
It has to be inspected and there's a "warehouse license" that you need. The requirements are pretty low, but you basically need to have a dedicated space for your "warehouse" which means it can't be just your basement or corner of your garage next to the gas cans. Not sure of the exact rules, but that's the basics.

Here's a start:
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/licenses_to_direct_market_individual_cuts_of_meat_in_Michigan

Google for Michigan warehouse license farmers market and you'll get everything you need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh okay thank you. Is there anyone here that has this license and currently sells meat direct to consumer off their farm? What does all that look like for you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts