selling goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Echo, May 14, 2004.

1. Echo

Echo Member

Peak - Where at in MO I'm in AR and would possibly be interested in the doe. I have a smalll dairy and am concentrating my breeding on Nubians and Saanen's the Saanen's I think hold up best for commerical milking but I love the Nubians as far as personnality goes.

Echo

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I won't sell to someone that I feel won't take care of my animals in a loving and respectful way. I think that we are stewarts over our animals and are responsible for providing the best we can for them. That means seeking a good home when we can't keep them. I'd never forgive myself for letting an animal of mine go to a home that is not good for them.

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I, too, may be interested. I currently have one registered Saanen and one grade Nubian. I am milking both right now, for my family. These does are my friends and mean the world to me! I make cheese and yogurt from the excess milk. Currently we don't have much excess because we are bottle feeding their two littel doelings, as well as three lambs with it. But it is wonderful and we treat our girls with the respect and love and attention they need! Ever have an hour long conversation with a goat who answers your questions appropriately?? I love that! :haha:

How old is your goat? How much milk is she giving you right now? I'd love a registered Nubian doe!

I am in Northwest Iowa, but travel south frequently. So the question put earlier: where in Missouri are you located?

Sarah

4. Peak

Peak Active Member

Sorry it took me so long to reply! Things get crazy around here. I am in Mid Missouri, right down I44, only about 11 miles south of the interstate. I do have to say I have someone coming to look at her on Sunday. She is a sweetie though. I will also be selling her twin sister, who is currently pregnant. They are both little over 2 years old, and this is their first pregnancy for both of them. The offspring of my pregnant doe will naturally be papered, my buck is Purebred. Thanks to all for the info, I have naturally told this gentlemen no, and have been asking more questions of my buyers. I do have pics I can and will email if someone is interested.

5. mamabeart00

mamabeart00 Suburban Homesteader

Sorry to sign in so late. I have been so busy since the first time I made it to this site. I had to come back, I miss reading all the posts and all the great information.

I definitely agree, as a new goatherder myself, I won't sell to someone I don't think will give them a good home. I don't have any registered animals. Mine actually are mixed breeds but the original herd owner was trying to create a multipurpose animal, that produced quality carcass, excellent milk and plenty of fiber. I have fallen in love with each and everyone of them. We band the boys, makes them a little easier to sell, and most of them have gone for pets. I had one gentleman who arranged to come out last week on a day i actually had to be at work. Well, city boy (hubby) called me at work while the man was there...he just wanted a couple of scrub goats...I said my price was firm, not much really considering the time, effort and love I give them. $50. He wanted 3 of them for $75 total. I stayed firm with the guy and he hung up the phone without handing it back to hubby. He got mad and left. No loss on my part. But the same ones he was looking at are now going to a lovely home as companion animals.

Tammy Curry Co-Founder, Teljac-Enterprises
    TrafficOasis, Inc. Member
    Member of The VoiceWave Team
    Madison Dynamics, Inc. Premium iAssociate
    540-789-2878
    2177 Conner Grove Road SW
    Willis, VA 24380
    teljac-enterprises@mail.iprobuilder.com
    http://www.teljac-enterprises.com Let us show you the latest in voice conferencing, how to build a profit pulling website in less than 24 hours and much much more!!
    menageriefarms@swva.net
    http://www.menagerie-farms.com/Barnyard/ Just Barnyard NewsLetter
    www.menagerie-farms.com Coming soon!! The Menagerie Farms has its own domain now, and the website will be updated. Look for our animals to be listed there, along with all the homemade crafts we will be offering: quilts and pillows, wood stoves, pot racks (both custom order), crocheted items, soaps and lotions made from fresh goats milk and much much more.

6. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

All good intentions about selling to someone who you THINK will provide a good home, but the fact is that you will never know for sure. Once the transaction is done the buyer can do as he or she wishes.

It is hard to sell animals we have become attached to, regardless of where they go. There's always a twinge. It is good at those times to remember why we are doing it in the first place. In your case, I would guess you are selling because the goat fails to kid. So you are strengthening your herd by doing so.

Keeping that in mind will keep the twinge in perspective.

Also, keep in mind that your buyer may be a meat goat raiser, as I am. his "attitude" would be perfectly in-line with that, and not be "bad."