Selling goat ?'s

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, Apr 20, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Hi all;
    I'm really new to the goat world. We've been in it almost a year now.
    I live in SW Washington State. Our Sannen/Nubian had triplets on Monday.
    Two boys, one girl. I don't need two more boys in my heard, plus they are related to momma. :) Anyhow, they are gorgeous and I would like to sell them. I think that they would make great bucks, but am also willing to wether them.
    I'd like to start to get the word out now because if someone wants them as bucks, I want them to give me a deposit. I've seen to many other goat people telling me about how someone wanted a buck and then backed out, leaving them with a buck that they couldn't do anything with. My question is how much do I ask? The Dam is Sannen/Nubian - awesome milker, the Sire is full Nubian. None are registered.
    Also, the babies are bottle fed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    I wouldn't let them go until they are weaned...which I think is 12 weeks?

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I dam-raise and sell my kids at 8 weeks or later. They get weaned when I sell them. If someone wants one of my goats, they have to buy it. If it's not ready to leave, I'll keep it for them and care for it until it's ready to leave, but it's their goat, paid in full. If they don't want to buy it, then it's available for sale to others.

And unless special arrangements are made, if bucks haven't left here by the time they're 10 weeks old, they are wethered. If they were bought and they haven't left by 10 weeks, they get wethered and sold to someone else. There is no refund. After last year, I'm pretty serious about not having any bucks hanging around for longer than 10 weeks. I still have in my buck pen a buck that was sold last summer, paid for in full, and I waited and waited for the shipping arrangements to be worked out. Well, shipping wasn't arranged and the deal fell through. Although I kept the purchase price as agreed, the buck was too old to wether by the time the sale failed, so I have kept him and fed him all winter long. He'll probably wind up at the auction, when he could have had a fine life as someone's pet if he'd been wethered in time. :no: So live and learn. No bucks here over 10 weeks old unless I'm keeping them for breeding stock myself.

3. BlessedMom

Thank you Laura;
    That is what I was thinking also. I *could* keep them as wethers if I had to, but I really am after 4H animals for my kids and friends, as well as milking goats. I can't end up with a lot of bucks!
    Any advice on how I would figure out how much these guys should go for? I've seen goats anywhere from $50 to $200 in these parts. I have no idea what people base their prices on.

thanks!!

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

call the local school , and see if they have a 4 h program , i sold two of my extra meat bucklings for 50.00 each last night ,

most of the dairy goat classes are for does though
    you are in washington state, not sure what side,
    as long as they arent disbudded you might find a market for them as pack goats , idaho has a lot of goat packing groups .....
    are they good looking enough that you could keep them for cart goats?
    wethers work great as cart goats ....
    that was my plan on the next bucklign that gets born , assuming i cant turn it into a profit some other way :D

personally i look at extra bucks as a commodity, obviously from my meat goats they are a money maker, so why should i look to the ones from my dairy herd any different ?
    i mean best case scenario any given year half my kids will be bucks, now even out of 10 does, that can add up to a lot of meat animals , or whatever, luckily i have a pakistani buyer who buys meat animals from me directly about every 3 weeks, and he doesnt particularly care what type it is, as long as its big and healthy, i have been selling him 70 lb goats at market rate for them
    which is right now about 1.45-1.60 lb

so what i am saying is , after the 4 h show , they are still marketable ,
    i think its wise to have several markets for your goats
    and thier products,it gives people a better perception of goats as a great animal
    Last night , the lady whos children bought the 4 h goats came out here, my first thought upon seeing her was, there goest the sale, shes here in a work dress and heels ( yes heels)
    her kids are immaculate, mine have been working all day , and look like urchins that they are, my farm is , well a farm , it has poop and animals and yeah , smells too....
    so we take her over to the kid pen and pointed out the kids to her, her duaghter is like, oh mommy , that one !!!
    which was perfect, cause it was the one i had planned to steer them toward, he was a 3/4 boer, nice and beefy friendly kid
    so then off to the other pen , with a detour by the piglets and rabbits, well in chatting turns out they have rabbits too last year was the first year they tried goats, and they fell in love with them , the one chiclds goat went to the premium sale, so they were happy ,
    and yeah i thnk well on the way to being "goat people"
    the second buck was still on the bottle, so he came from the other pen ,
    so i sold a3 month old and a 2 week old for 50.00 a piece,
    i had just bought the dam , shes an alpine not all thatl ong ago , for 75.00 , so between the milk shes giving , and all her kids being sold, shes paid for herself well over :D
    unreg. 4 year old alpine NOA type doe

any how, got to go , i know i rambled ,
    price is what you feel its worth , plus your areas going rates

5. BlessedMom

Well the milker that I just bought is a reg. Nubian. She is 5 years old. Since we are 4H we got a discount. Originally she wanted $100, but I got her for $75 and she's in milk right now. We also bought her registered Nubian buckling that is 3 months old for $100. So I'm thinking for these guys $75 for the buck or $50 if a wether? I have the hardest time knowing what these guys are worth, because in my mind they are priceless!! LOL!
    :bash:
    I haven't seen anyone else selling Nubian Bucklings!

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Saanen/nubian is probably a really good size for packing, as long as they still have their horns. I do know some people who pack with disbudded goats, but that's not the majority.

I personally wouldn't pay more than $50 for a wether, no matter what breed he is.

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Actually, goat packers are probably fifty-fifty on disbudding. If they have children, they are more likely to want disbudded kids -- and if the children are going to be doing 4-H (yes, there are packgoat clubs) the goat needs to be disbudded.

It's never too late to castrate a buck. Some of the goat packers are keeping bucks for breeding until they are two or three years old, then castrating them. After a few weeks the smell goes away, the obnoxious behavior disappears, and they frequently make really nice packers (larger and better muscled than wethers). I plan to do that with my Kinder buck when I can't use him for breeding anymore, unless there's someone close by to swap bucks with at that point (he's only a year old now, so it'll be a year or two yet).

Kathleen

8. BlessedMom

I'm definately going to disbud. In the case that I don't sell them, I do not want goats with horns. All my other goats are disbudded. Actually, I believe that the dam (Cricket) was an offspring of a pack goat, her first kids actually became pack goats also.
    I've listed them for $75 as bucklings. $50 for wethers.
    Does that sound okay?
    I just want to make sure a responsible goat owner takes them.
    They are our first babies!

Lori

9. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

seem reasonable, a novice would go with the wether, not knowing, rather than the buck forthe extra cash :D
    good idea
    Beth

10. BlessedMom

If it hadn't been for a really knowledgable goat friend and this list, at first I would have bought a wether not know it couldn't reproduce! I've come a long way in a year....still have tons to learn though! I felt pretty good, I was reading the Goat & Sheep book of Medicine last night - I enjoyed it and learned a lot..but what is even more amazing is that I actually think I understood some of it!
    I love purusing the net for goat books, then I go to the library and order it.
    I've got a huge list of the ones I've read. My favorite book so far hands down has been Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living, with Raising Meat Goats for Profit being a close second.
    And it I can't find my answer in those two books, then I know I'll find it here!

Thanxs!