Selling fall produce roadside

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Charleen, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

A few days ago we picked all our pumpkins and gourds, cut down the field cornstalks and bundled them up and put it all out to the road for sale. We've made $35 in 2 days. It's pretty good, considering our seed only cost about $3 for all. Not enough $$ to quit my day job, but the extra is nice. We're selling it on the honor system, so we don't even have to be home.

What gets me is that all of this is DECORATION. It is amazing to me how much $$ people will spend for something unnecessary, but they won't stop the car to buy the EDIBLE produce. We've grown and tried to sell many things from the garden, but compared to the fall decorations, the edible produce hardly sold at all. Except for eggs- I have regular egg customers.

Hope the indian corn germinates next year. We could get rich!

2. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Keep it up and people will get used to coming out each year.
    I have Paps Punkin Patch every fall and the grand kids get the profit for helping with the haying and chores.Saturday we made $390.00.Gets better every year :sing:
    Cups of feed at our petting zoo made around 20 bucks.Not bad getting the animals fed AND getting paid to boot ;)
    WE have a ball doing it.And we have a loyal following year after year.It's funny now we have families coming that said their parents used to bring them.
    Oh yeah,be inventive. I sold very few mums till I put a raised bottom in my manure spreader and it looks like it's full and spilling over with very colorfull manure! we sold a lot,but not one sold that was on the ground around the hay wagon display??????
    Parents and grandparents love to have the kids get in to have their pictures taken.
    Have fun,we are.
    Chas

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Is parking by a intersection and selling legal?

I've noticed there is these people that sell produce about this time of year, the Great Satan Illinois State put up "NO PARKING" signs like crazy, like TEN of them.

If your there selling produce and your not in the way of the intersection, is that considered Parking?

and is there any permits you need from the health Dept to sell tailgate produce?

4. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Technically, you should ask permission of the landowner....or risk being ousted. Common sense.

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I guess what surprised me was the amount of money people will spend on something unnecessary. Nobody HAS to have a pumpkin on their porch and nobody HAS to have gourds and cornstalks. :soap:

I pointed to the vegetables available and one woman said, "Oh, we don't eat those things."

I'm thankful for what people did buy, and I know that I shouldn't judge. I guess that means more for us to preserve. They don't know what they're missing.

Thanks all, for your comments.