Selling Eggs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by southerngurl, Mar 7, 2005.

1. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

What do you have to do to be able to sell eggs, like at a farmer's market? Does anybody know about any regulations, ect? I am in Arkansas.

2. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I sell my eggs here in E.Tn. for $1.OO a dozen. Haven't heard any thing about regulations.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Regulations vary apparently greatly between states. Start with your local ag. extension agent. Then the county health department. I think most require you to not reuse egg cartons with someone else's markings, but people can bring their own old cartons and fill them from a bowl or basket. However, blank cartons are readily available. You might be able to spray paint over the old markings. I believe you have to put on a best-if-used by date, which might be something like 60 days from being laid. I have seen people sell out of an honor system refrigerator on the front porch and an FARM FRESH EGGS FOR SALE sign at the road.

On pricing, you have a superior product and should sell it as such. I would try $1.50 a dozen first, then $1.25 if they don't move well at that price.

I suspect most of these operations are to sell excess eggs and to recoup part of the feed bill.

Try to find some information on farm fresh eggs compared to supermarket eggs, such as the comparison of vitamins and minerals.

Ken Scharabok

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Wish you were my neighbor,Mrs pays about 3.oo/doz for either free range or brown eggs,and i doubt they really free range.She gets them at super market.

BooBoo

5. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Just found out our local health food store sells organic chicken eggs for $4 a dozen. :eek: Cant imagine paying that much! Very happy we have our own hens

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Where we live, you need a license, but they're free if you sell under a certain amount (something like 1000 dozen a year). That's it. You can reuse cartons, but you have to put your name on the carton too.

We've just recently started selling them for $2 a dozen and have no trouble finding customers. We could easily get $2.50, but I don't feel like messing with change.

7. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

That's right; thirty-three years ago Nancy was getting $1.25 a dozen for our free-range eggs. I don't think you are charging enough: are you?

AND, we got $1.25 for a gallon of milk, we raised it to $1.40 after two months, because the demand was so high. Bought one cow, sold all the milk, got a milking machine -- no power -- ran it off the vacuum pressure in the pickup intake manifold (14 inches of mercury -- that's what they need to operate). Then got three more cows.

We were making $576 dollars a month from one cow: Hetherington -- ten gallons a day (later we had three milking, one dry -- and made even more money -- much later we milked 125 etc, etc), and we sold the calves; chickens brought in $125 a month -- sold ten dozen a month. We had so much money; we worked hard; Nancy cleaned the jars and sterilized them, on Katie the Cookstove, and she delivered all that milk and those eggs in town. She got to know a lot of people.

Gee, all that from the price of eggs.

Good luck,

Alex

8. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Look at your farmers market closely to decide if you really want in there. Frequently, it's not a good place to be selling eggs for good money.

As a general rule, you'll need something to be in the farmers market. And that something can open an interesting can of worms on you. It puts you on the map for regulators. It lets the regulators know that you are supposed to know "the rules". It can kick up interesting problems for you with other permits, licences and fees, even if this one is free.

Selling eggs out of your house is one thing. Setting up a stand at the market is another. Decide if you really want to get into it, and all it can bring to bear.