Selling Broilers Legally?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JAS, Jun 15, 2006.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I am getting fustrated. Does anyone sell butchered broilers direct to consumers, say at the farmers market? What did you have to go through to do it legally?

Don't tell me to contact my state health department or other office, because I have and no one will tell me what I need to do. They just direct me to another phone # until I get sent back to the first number I started with. The federal guy told me I didn't have enough birds to be regulated by them and said it would be a county issue. The county official told me to contact the state official. The state official didn't know anything and sent me to the federal official.....

I am just looking to sell 100-200 birds to start with, just to see what the market is like. I want to be legal, but more than one of the "officials" pretty much told me to go ahead and do it with out any info (they don't have the funds to regulate such a small operation).

I could get them butchered at a local locker, but he said he is not licensed for me to resell the birds, just for my own use.

What would you do, or what do you do? Help!

2. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

What allows someone to sell is a state exemption. According to the American Pastured Poultry Association there is not one for South Dakota.

APPA rules by State

We sell broilers at a couple markets in California where there is a strong exemption, but many county health officials make it difficult also. I believe you will need slaughter done by a USDA inspected facility.

3. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

Can you sell the Broilers a little less expensive and have the customers pay the locker directly? Say I want 5 birds. I pay you for 5 birds and you deliver them to the locker for me and tell them that these are Carrie's birds and I am just delievering them for her. They then call me when the birds are done and I go pick them up and pay the bill. Then the locker is not reselling. I own the birds - you are just supplying the trucking for me. Would this work?

I worked in a small town locker when I was in high school and it was not unusual for "Fred" to bring a pig and beings he was coming to town anyways brought one of "Joe's" pigs as well. Most of the time, Joe had already called in and said he was send a hog to town and how he wanted it cut up.

Just a thought.

Carrie in SD

4. CountryWannabe

CountryWannabe Well-Known Member

<<I am getting fustrated. Does anyone sell butchered broilers direct to consumers, say at the farmers market? What did you have to go through to do it legally? >>

Here in Oklahoma, you can sell a live bird directly to the client and butcher it for them free as a favor... You can also deliver them directly to that client. The birds cannot be sold at farmers markets, etc., unless they have been processed in a USDA inspected plant - of which there are none (I believe) in this State. If a bird has been sold, and farm-processed, you can deliver that bird directly to the client at the farmers market...

I am sure that was no help whatsoever, but that is what Gumment is all about. Wear us down till we quit...

Mary in OK

Alice In TX/MO and Awnry Abe like this.
  5. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

in oklahoma, we are allowed to sell 1000 butchered chickens off the farm or the equivalent. i think one turkey=3 chickens.

hopefully, SD has some provision like that.

6. daycab

daycab Well-Known Member

7. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

A local chiropractor does it this way. He sells grass fed beef and broilers. He states he sells them live. He offers as at the same price they can pick up their order at the butcher wrapped and cleaned. He has a standing deal with the butcher.

8. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

What about selling them LIVE?

I have absolutely no problems selling live roosters for meat -- certain ethnic groups have no problem with butchering the birds themselves. I usually get around $7-8 a bird and that's for marans, which have some meat on them, but nothing like a broiler. I suspect I'd get a fair amount more for broilers.

Selling them live solves all sorts of problems. Put the word out in your local ethnic communities and you'll have plenty of buyers.

Also, you may find buyers among people who feed their dogs raw meat. I've also sold birds to a guy who was doing wildlife rehab and needed whole carcasses (ungutted) for his animals.

Leva

9. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I sell live poultry to the local Hispanic community. It is still very profitable, they want pastured, wheat fed poultry. The nearest processor who will do poultry is 200 miles away.

10. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

We sell them live, but with a twist, to "work with" :rolleyes: the laws in our state. There are currently no state-licensed poultry slaughterhouses in Maine, so the only way to legally sell to people is to sell the live bird and then the customer would bring them to a custom slaughter facility under their own name for their own use. In Maine, birds slaughtered are labelled "Custom Slaughter, not for sale," and the state specifies these birds are only for personal use.

So we raise the birds, sell them while they're still alive for $2.50 a lb. dressed weight (TBD after slaughter), bring the birds to the slaughterhouse for free as a service to our customers, sign the birds in under the customer's name (most people order 10 or more so it's not that big a deal), and then bring them back for them. The customers pick them up here at the farm. That way we're not selling custom slaughter birds at retail. A signed and dated bill of sale is needed for a paper trail showing the birds were sold live.

11. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

It is my understanding in VA one can process a certain number of birds before having to jump through hoops. I solve the problem by selling live animals. When I sell a hog, or half or such; I give it a free ride to the butcher and list it under the person's name. But since I have to go back to thew butcher; I pick up the buyers stuff also and deliver it for them. They then reimburse for the butchering and a tip to cover gas and time.
    If you want to butcher on your place; could you maybe have the person "help" with the butchering so that you aren't doing it solely, but "helping" them butcher their chickens?

12. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, unless someone here lives in your state, noone is going to be much help. The laws are all very different and allow different things. And then, even if someone does live where you live and thinks they know the rules, they might be wrong. I have found that producers that I talk to who live where I live all have different ideas about what's ok and what's not.

Just for an example, our state allows you to sell a certain number of birds, like 3000 a year. No license, no registration, etc. But, you have to butcher them yourselves. You can't have someone else do it. There is a processor who can butcher, but only for your personal use, not for resale. You also can't sell wholesale, no restaurants or grocery stores, only direct to the customer.

But, basically, you have to find out for yourself. We got the exact same runaround when we started. The state didn't know. The USDA didn't know. We kept getting sent back and forth to different people. But eventually, we got the answers. Mostly by looking through the state code online.

Edited to add: You could also join the yahoo group for pastured poultry and see if anyone there is from SD.

13. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I had thought of selling live birds. I am not sure I could guarantee birds with the preditor problems around here--lost half my broilers last year to a opossum and a mink. That was why I wanted to sell them already processed.

I have concluded that the government does not want me to this and therefore is not going to make it easy.

14. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

Can you have them processed and then give them as "gifts" and accept "donations" for the feed?

There is a lady in the Beaver Creek, MN area (I think that is the area) that raises broilers and has them processed over there. Maybe look for a processing plant across the border?

Carrie in SD

15. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

You need to contact:
    South Dakota Dept of AG
    523 East Capitol
    Pierre, SD 57501-3182
    605-773-3375
    605-773-5926(fax)

OR

HACCP
    411 South Fort St
    Pierre, SD 57501
    605-773-3321
    605-773-5459(fax)

16. terrythetaod

terrythetaod Well-Known Member

Can't say that this will work for sure, but another idea is to...

sell a "ticket" for x dollars. It just so happens that those same tickets can be exchanged for something else on your farm, say, a butchered broiler for example.

17. brouwer

brouwer Well-Known Member

I believe D & T meat locker in Pipestone, MN is usda certified. That is where I get all my chickens butchered.

You could also go to the local library. Almost all libraries carry the rules and regulations of their state. I know our local library does.

18. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

dont sell the birds sell the time invested in them. have the people. Pre order what they want and have them "pay you an hourly wage" to raise their birds. Have them "buy the grain" to feed them. There is many a loop hole to jump threw. Trust me.

19. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

hehehe... just a thought here... adopt a bird. People can adopt a chicken, you babysit it for them. They can pay you "babysitting fees" when they come by to pick up eggs, or you sadly hand them their deceased chicken (chickens have a habit of becoming deceased at my place), plucked and all cleaned up, ready for them to take it home and dispose of it. You have no control over what they do with after they leave your house. They can freeze it, eat it, or bury it. hehehe

Okay, it's late, I'm tired. Time to get some sleep as my last few posts have been sorta off the wall...

hercsmama likes this.
  20. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I sold broilers legally.

I had a meat brokers license from my state department of ag (try yours). I also had to comply with all the health department rules for whatever county and/or city I was selling in.

To sell across state lines, I had to have USDA inspection. To sell within the state, I had to have state inspection. If your state has no inspection, then it falls back to USDA.

Anyone is allowed to get their own meat processed for their own use without an inspection. That is what your locker is doing and no, you can't sell those birds legally. You can do as other suggested and sell the birds live, but deliver them for your customers. They will have to pick them up at the locker.

Some states allow the producer to sell birds directly from the farm. That means that those birds cannot go past the farm gate unless they are in the hands of the consumer. This is a huge hinderance as the customer has to come to you.

If you are not fortunate enough to live near a USDA inspected processor, you are basically out of luck unless you sell on the farm. I was lucky enough to live near a USDA processor and thus had a thriving business until my ex-husband ruined me, but that is a different story.

Jena