Selling a 1/2 pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Charleen, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We have 2 pigs that we plan to butcher in the fall.

We'd like to line-up a couple of buyers for at least 1 pig (or 1+1/2), and we'll keep the remaining meat. I'm not sure how to go about figuring the price to sell it. Do y'all split butchering costs and add on an amount for your own profit? Or will the butcher give me a price per pound? Just wondered how the rest of you did this?

2. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

it's been awhile since we sold a half but what we did was just set a price per pound. the last we done was $1.25 per lb but i think it's around 2 bucks now. i know some people just go to the grocery store and see what it's bringing and charge the same. in this area we could make more profit grinding it all in sausage and selling it that way. we have never used a butcher for hogs so can't help you there.on a beef we would quarter it and then get a butcher to work it up from there.

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Most folks charge so much per pound, hanging weight. Stay away from spliting the butchering cost, that is the responsibility of the buyer. Butcher costs can vary widely depending on amount of smoking, sausage, etc.

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We advertised our extra pig the first year we raised them. Sold the whole thing and the man wanted to use his butcher so he picked up the hog any away it went.

We haven't had to advertise anymore. We now are raising 5 hogs. One for us and four for local farmers.

We sell on the hoof $0.55 at the present time and then we haul to the butcher when we haul our own. At this price we don't make a profit but it does pay for our hog 100% so we have free pork all winter.

BTW our feed has no additives such as growth hormones/antibotics/etc.

The farmers tell the butcher how they want the meat cut and pay all fees.

As far as selling shares It should work also.

Good luck in your endevers
    [​IMG]

5. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

We only sell whole hogs - actually we sell the weaner pig, get a $25 deposit, then sell the grown hog for $200. Processing is extra and paid direct to the butcher. We will haul the hogs to the butcher for our customer. This is our 3rd year. We raise only 3-5 hogs twice a year and never had a problem getting customers.
    [​IMG]

Oh Happy are the pigs with dirt over their eyeballs!!!