Sell Your Dog & Cat Hair?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Turalura, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Turalura

Turalura Well-Known Member

I was checking out the ' I Want It Now ' posts on Ebay earlier today and there was a person wanting to buy dog and cat hair ( from grooming or shedding ).
    I don't imagine the buyer would pay big bucks or if it's on the level but anyone interested could find out.
    I wonder why they don't just go to a groomer and get it.

2. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Wow, do ya suppose? I coulda given them a bushel of dog hair a few days ago, as DH and I gave one of our dogs their spring cut. There would have been enough to make a whole new dog with it. Wonder if this item is for real?

3. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

I've heard of certain kinds of dog and cat hair being used by handspinners. Mostly nordic breeds, form what I recall. Wonder if it smells like a wet dog on damp days. :haha:

4. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

LOL, may have to check into it.
    Our female Border Collie is going to groomers this week for her cut but she's kept short. However our male is a wooly bear they should love his hair...long

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I have spun dog hair before. For me the long hair works the best. Wonder if they are going to use the hair around their garden to keep other animals away?

6. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

7. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

A friend of mine named Anne Novak co-authored a book some years ago entitled 'Knitting with Dog Hair.' I bet you can guess what it's about. A lot of people really do this.

-Jack

8. ErinC

ErinC Well-Known Member

I was initially really grossed out by the concept of wearing dog hair, but knitted up some socks out of white maltese. They are the warmest & most durable things I've ever worn! And really, they don't smell doggy after you've washed em;) But even after a hundred washings, fido still goes ballistic when I wear them...

9. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If you add a little white vinager into the rinse water, you don't have doggie odor. Fur is like, 8 times warmer than wool.

10. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Wow,that's news to me. I've never heard of such! My dogs shed ALOT,I could knit a three piece suit out of it :p :)

11. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

Sammy my great pyr is sheadding about a pound a day im saving for spinning. It is so soft it reminds me of alpaca.

12. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

can you spin short dog hair?

I have hair dogs and my female is shedding, I got 4 brush loads off her in 15 minutes last night and she has more to give, I think she may be going bald. :rolleyes:

13. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Dog yarn is called Chengora (check the spelling though...) and you CAN do it with shorter fur (but not SHORT), but it has to be mixed with long fur for it to hold...otherwise it won't be strong enough to do anything with.

Mon

14. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Chiengora - it's fun. The spitz breeds (Husky, Samoyed, Malamute, Chow, Eskie, etc) tend to have the most widely used coats, but any hair of a reasonable length can be spun. I send my white collie's brushed out undercoat to a friend. It has to be reasonable clean and in good shape to be worth spinning, and clipped-off hair doesn't work as well as pure undercoat (brushed out) but can still sort of be spun- it depends on texture and folks who are better spinners than I could probably do better with it.

15. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Yes, my aunt once made me a sweater from her 2 dogs (well, not the dogs, but their hair) :rolleyes:
    She spun it & dyed it turquoise!
    I loved that sweater.

16. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

They are probably spinners. Cut hair won't work, but combed hair will (very different texture).

17. Wolf Flower

Wolf Flower Married, not dead! Supporter

Actually, they're no longer buying pet hair. I am a pet groomer by trade and used to sell to VIP Fibers. You'd be surprised how much hair it takes to make an ounce!

I actually saw some of the different breeds' hair spun into yarn... it was surprsingly soft, not scratchy. Bichon hair yarn is especially nice, very cottony.