Sell Me Your Place!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fantasymaker, Jan 6, 2007.

1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Tell me about the absolutely best spot in the country.
    nope you dont have to own it.
    and you dont have to give it up.
    just convince me and a few others who may take a peek at this thread
    about the wonders of your place

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

20 acres in South Missouri.Garden Spot,Orchard,20X40 Rustic Cabin,20X30 Barn,Chicken House,Rabbit Shed,Wood Shed,couple other Sheds,Fenced,year round spring.

Short drive to Lake of the Ozarks,Pomme De Terre Lake,and Truman Lake.10 miles from Bennett Spring State Park,2 miles from Niangua River.1 mile from Lead Mine State Forest.

Isolated in a Horse and Buggy Mennonite community.But 50 miles from the Queen City of the Ozarks,Springfield.

Plenty of Game and Fish around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

big rockpile

3. egads1

egads1 Member

Very nice Big rockpile!! What are those hanging off your arm?

4. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

Let's see.... in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of miles and miles of dryland wheat farms. I live in a semi desert climate where the sun shines in the summer (120 degrees is not that uncommon), it gets cold in the winter (-30 is about the lowest) and the wind blows a LOT. It's dry, dusty and poor. There are rocks, sage brush and tumbleweeds all around. Our town is about 250 people and shrinking. I have to drive about 60 miles to a decent store, even though I live in town. We do have a coffee shop though!

Yes, I love it here. :) You do have to appreciate a lot of sky, few buildings, brownish landscapes and basalt. It is very beautiful in a peaceful, open sort of way. I wish we could get a few acres out of town and just settle down to have a small family farm with our grown kids and grandkids, but I don't see that happening, so we have our place in town with our pets (and our ducks) and our big garden and the kids come visit.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Thats my BIL.Them are a couple Spoonbill I got.

big rockpile

6. GrannyCarol

For a moment, I thought you were saying it was your BIL hanging off your arm!! hehe

7. fantasymaker

Granny wheres this ..........ummmm ....................paradice at?

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Well, fiddlesticks! Thought you wanted to buy the 'Fireant Heaven'! LOL

9. GrannyCarol

Sorry! I didn't realize that I hadn't put my location in my profile. That's fixed now. I'm in Eastern Washington State.... a mountain range away from all the big city greenery in the cloud shadow of the Cascades.

Oh yah, some of you might enjoy the fact that I'm only an hour or two drive away from some of the most beautiful mountains in the country. :) There is all sorts of fishing only an hour's drive away and deer and pheasant all over the place in all of those wheat fields. It's not far to camp or hunt or fish (believe it or not!) and its only a couple hours drive to the gorgeous country around Spokane and Idaho.

I just happen to live in the barren plains and have come to really enjoy it. I guess I'm strange!! :)

10. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone would want to move into my area. We have to much freedom and independance. People obviously don't like that, at least I'm assuming they don't since many stand in line to give up their freedoms.

We have very low property tax, homestead exemption has lowered my tax to zero.
    No zoning laws, we build what we want, when we want without asking anyones permission.
    Lots of wide open spaces.
    Lots of deer, bear, wild boar, wild horses, and other animals.
    Very little polution.
    As a general rule people mind their own business, but are there to help when help is needed, there aren't many people so the help is usually not as much as it needs to be.

As for my personal property... It isn't a desirable place. The house is about 100 years old. There's a barn that looks to be as old as the house, or older. There's a big new barn that isn't finished yet. An office building, several outbuildings, a hay meadow, a rocky pasture that is full of weeds and a few cedar trees, a wood lot in the back corner, a couple goat pens, a calf pen, and a few smaller pens for small animals.

I had a nice orchard with a good variety of fruits until DH decided to prune the trees one year. That was the end of my orchard. In the yard I have an apple tree that produces every year without fail, and a couple of peach trees, one early and one late producer. 3 pecan trees that are not big enough to produce yet and some shade trees (DH has been banned from touching any of them!).

The old garden is set up with 4'x8' raised boxes (12 of them), it has an automatic watering system. There's a new salad garden (2'x12) on the south side of the house. I also have a little "rain forest" garden (about 8'x24') right outside the back door. It's set up with misters that keeps it cool and moist even when the temps are over 100°. The new 25'x100' garden is currently just a fenced off area between the yard and the pasture. I’ll take a lot of work to turn it into a producing garden but it should be a good producer as it used to be a goat pen.

I have a spring fed pond that never goes dry even in the worst drought years.

The perimeter of the pasture is completely fenced with new 5 strand barb wire on 2 sides. The other 2 sides is old fence that would have to be replaced if the fence rows were cleaned out. The pasture needs to be cross fenced and that is in my long term plans.

If you think it's weird that I refer to things as "mine" instead of "ours", that's because DH is a "city boy" who has very little to do with this place. He works in the city and stays in the city so I am the one who makes all decisions and does all the work here until he retires and moves out here from the city. Then it will become "our" place. It will be fun teaching him how to be a "country boy"! :p

11. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I'll sell! Although most of you homesteaders wouldn't pay the price for Western WA.

[​IMG]
    However, if you're looking for paradise...We're within spitting distance of Puget Sound and Bellingham Bay. Canada is a mere 20 minute drive to the north, and Mt Baker has world class skiing...we're just a few minutes off the highway leading up to it. (Call Of The Wild was filmed there, starring Clark Gable and Loretta Young.)

We're midway between Vancouver, BC and Seattle WA; it'd take just 90 minutes to get to either destination if you wanted to go out for a night on the town; dinner, sports, or the theater. We're also situated on Puget Sound, where you can take walks on our rocky shores, visit aquariums or go diving. Whale watching is always a great way to spend a summer afternoon!
    [​IMG]
    Don't want to mess with city folks? No need to head to town, then; just stay to the east and you can find yourself with a lot of folks who's kids can call their mom their aunt (if you know what I mean!) Hey, inbreeding may be your thing, I dunno, but there're some pretty small, tightly knit logging communities up the road a piece :p

But don't forget the farmland. Yes, it's being eaten up by cidiots who think they want to live in the country...but you can still get some prime dairy or berry land! In fact, this is the raspberry capitol of the world.
    [​IMG]
    Have you been tempted yet? The neighbor's homes are all over half a million...some priced at a million...mine is quite economical by comparison at just shy of $400,000...go ahead and pm me :p (And no, I can't afford to buy my own house. I was born here and bought before the prices flew through the sky.)

12. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

Spinner, what state did you say you lived in????????
    otherwise, very interesting..........

13. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

Kesoaps
    tooo much rain there for me!!

14. fantasymaker

yes spinner enquiring minds what to know!

15. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Oklahoma Down in the southeast corner. In the middle of NOWHERE. LOL

16. rebelfarmer

rebelfarmer Well-Known Member

i live in the middle eastern part of oklahoma. it is about the same as were spinner is from meaning the laws and people. i dont know about spinners area but we have alot of native and wild food. we have wild garlic,onions,asparagus,and peaches. the native food is wild red and blue plum, blackberrys,hickory nuts,pecans. we also have good soil to grow good gardens
    this is my little piece of heaven

17. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

TONS of zoning here! LOTS of people around the southern part of the state!

That being said, I am truely blessed. We have 40 acres (15 fields, 25 forest), a pond, a cape that was built between 1770-1780, and a detatached three story barn that contains two rental apartments (we purchased the place that way). We are about an hour from the seacoast and 30 minutes from the mountains. We purchased our home before prices went crazy here...our home hadn't been lived in for about 3 years and needed quite a bit of fix-up to make it habitable. We are very lucky. :)

[​IMG]

18. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

40 acres mostly cleared field ,great hay,riding stable. 7 acres of timber 1500= ft of creek fronatage. deer and wildlife galore, only civil war battle site in the county mineral rights no under mining. good bottom land roughly 3 ft of top soil and 5 of pottery grade clay a ft of shale below that and a nice vain of coal below that . secluded yet only 2 miles from a hospital and a mile from shopping.
    generally good neighbors who dont have nose problems.
    And all this can be yours for the small sume of 400 million
    price includes three energy effcient homes a two car garage, a two story 24x36 workshop,4 stall riding stable with tack room 4 collector item cars ,a full set of 1998 hot wheels collector series ,the full 2000 hotwheels collector series, a complete collection of ertl 1/64farm sets, two HO scale train sets, 9 computors(7 desk tops two laptops) 1 batfe approved type 4 magazine, an ac wd (burns oil) and ac equipment, 1 AC-C ,1 horse draw grader,286 steel entry doors, two bundles of building lumber,approx 85 pounds of magnet wire,and assortment of neo magnets, welder both stick and mig,cutting torches ,4 air compressors, fencing, nail guns, saws, lathe, planer,two grain mills, various filing cabinets,8 shot guns,12 rifles, reloading equipment, three garden tractors with eqipment,8 running push mowers ,three running snapper riding mowers,1 honda big red ,1 90cc dirt bike, 2 RC speed boats, 1 14ft ski boat 70hp,1 16ft marktwain io boat, 2 yukondelta house boats,1 dodge motor home,1 60 passanger school bus converted to a motor home, 2 carriages and 6 barrels of misc toys. almost forgot 8000 books and 100+ brayer horses and modles from the early 70s, a full set of first day of issue stamps from 1774-1982.

19. Ford8N

Ford8N Well-Known Member

I love my area in Southwest Wisconsin. Our region was passed around by glaciers, so it is hilly and panoramic and still has a lot of beautiful dairy barns and farms, although many are disappearing. I love my little farm and I have been restoring my old farmhouse, room by room, and enjoy fixing it up. I like the history of the old farmstead and it makes me feel good that I am preserving all the old buildings on it instead of building some ugly suburban looking McMansion. I enjoy doing most of the work myself and hire local Amish for things like the roofs and siding which I cant really do.

I like the local people and culture and the fact that you can bring the whole family into the local tavern for a Friday night fish fry and it is not frowned upon. People are generally friendly and honest and we have a low crime rate. Wisconsin was settled by a lot Northern Europeans and it makes me happy as a German-Swede to listen to the local Reedsburg station that still plays polka music on Sunday mornings.

I also like the climate, although this winter has been horrible with warm weather, rain and no snow. I am one of the few people who loves the winter season and we have a huge network of snowmobile trails, both locally and in the state.

By comparison, I grew up in the Southern tip of Illinois in an area surrounded by the Shawnee National Forest. My parents grew up in Chicago and moved there when I was in 1st grade back in the 70's. My parents and sister still live there and I could buy land much cheaper and taxes would be a lot less but I would miss winter too much (if we ever get one again) and I think Wisconsin has a lot more to offer in general. Even the small towns and farms are just a bit "tidier" than where I grew up. Also, Southern IL is a distinctly southern culture and it really feels like you are south of the Mason-Dixon line. No offense or slam to any of you Southern folks here, it is just a different way of life. I do like the Southern people (but not hot weather), but it would be harder for me to feel at home there.

Southern IL does have a longer growing season and my mom is harvesting some early peas and lettuce from her garden before I even get mine planted. I refuse to live all summer indoors in air conditioning, so I will stay confortable in my Zone 4 climate, even if it means a shorter growing season.

Visit beautiful Wisconsin and come smell our dairy air!! :)

20. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Big rockpile,

Is that a .22 layin next to that tom? Is it "legal" to pop them with a .22 in MO? In NE, it's only "legal" for me to nail them with a .22 whilst I'm on my own property, with nobody lookin, that is.