Self Sufficient System - Documentation

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jwulf, Nov 7, 2004.

1. jwulf

jwulf Member

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of either a book or website that might review an actual family living in a self suffciient manner that discusses real measured quantities of what they had to raise or rear to get by?

I've got a zillion great links on the web (and quite a few books) that discuss all sorts of issues with regards to building, growing food, and even rasing animals, but I've never seen anything that really ties it all together and shows an actual family unit and how big their vegetable garden was, or how many acres of wheat or corn they grew, and exactly what and how many animals they raised.

I realize there would be a lot of variation to this depending on where you live and your personal tastes but I would love to see something that shows the bigger picture.

Thanks.

-jwulf
    jwulf@cinci.rr.com

2. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I have two sets of books that do this pretty well.

Readily available new or used: Any books by Gene Logsdon.

Also, Joel Salatin

Four books by Louis Bromfield: Pleasant Valley, Malabar Farm, Out of My Experience and one other. These were published in the 1940's and are long out of print. They are definitely worth a search.

There are a number of books about people who have specialized, e.g. CSA's, flower farms, etc.

Happy reading,

Sandi

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

The Little House books. The Little House in the Big Woods, for instance. Laura tells you step by step how Pa does this and how Ma does that. I know it's not what you had in mind, but check them out of the library and see if you can't learn something.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Check out an old book, reprinted regularyl by Storey Press called "The How-To Plan".

A book called "The Edible Landscape" or something like that, is excellent with charts/graphs, etc. I use it a lot, just too lazy to go downstairs and check the complete title.

5. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

"real measured quantities of what they had to raise or rear to get by?"

If I had a real desire for that information I would find an Amish family with a family size close to my family's size and ask to sit and talk. I don't know of any better way to get the information you are looking for because that will be "real time--real live situation"!!

Tim
    Knoxville, TN

6. jwulf

jwulf Member

Thanks to everyone for all the good information!

-jwulf