Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has familiarity with self-hypnosis.

I'm having pain control issues for a few weeks and these are making it difficult for me to keep up with 'activities of daily living'. I'm wondering if self hypnosis might help either in controlling the pain or in keeping me on-task despite the pain so that I can get normal household chores done instead of giving up and crawling back into bed or onto the computer or some other non-weightbearing and non-productive activity.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
A friend of mine visited a hypnotist this summer for weight loss. He told her that hypnosis was not the greatest thing for weight loss, although there was some benefit from it. But he said that pain relief was pretty good with it. So I would think self hypnosis might be good for it as well.

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

Jennifer

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Don't know if it would work, but sure seems worth a try. I am curious, how do you do it? Could you post a link?
Thanks, Joanie

·
Registered
222 Posts
Go to this site and download Virtual Hypnotist. If you are able to be hypnotized I can assure you it works because I've used it. I am easily hypnotizable. Some people are not.

A relaxation session should help reduce the stress associated with your pain--at least temporarily--even if it doesn't block the pain.

Here's the link to the download:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Virtual-Hypnotist-Download-14960.html

The program has preset sessions. It takes a little while to learn how to use it. You'll enter your name, pick a preset session and then click "start session" in the lower left hand corner of the main screen page.

Good luck.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I did self-hypnosis for dental issues a few years ago. Went from having to use the bathroom from nerves, to being able to have light drilling without any deading and being relaxed about it.

What I did was
1. when going to bed (or lying down)
2. purposely relax toe, then ankles, then calfs, then on up - when you have relaxed your head....breathe deeply and tell yourself what you want to change/do and hold it for a count of 10 to 20.

3. do it again

4. make it a total of 3 times each night.

5. takes about 2 weeks for it to work

6. when in the situation you have been working on, close your eyes, breathe deeply, and relax - and it should kick in.

Angie

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Before I had my first child I read books on methods of pain control.

When those contractions started to get fierce, I tried those methods out.
Essentially a mind over matter form of relaxation.
And (thank God) they worked wonderfully.

However, I needed to give all of my attention and concentration to the effort.
I would not have been able to do any thing distracting----not even routine, boring household chores.

By the time I had baby #5 I was a Master!
The nurses told me I was absolutely the most ideal patient they had ever had.

The first thing I had to do was teach myself (and the nurses) that I was having contractions and NOT pains.
Contractions are a normal tightening and relaxing of a muscle.
If you contact the muscles in your hand really tight, it might be considered painful.
But as long as you KNOW it is just a muscle tightening down, it is not painful-----just tight.
And that was what was happening to the uterus.
It got good and tight as it contracted------and if you could keep the rest of the body relaxed, there was no pain.

It was a relaxation effort that was quickly rewarded by the end to the contraction
And then you could rest and prepare for the next one.

I'll be watching to see what anyone might advise for any other type of long tern, less predictable body pain.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Don't know about SELF hypnosis, and this might be a dumb question. But, if you go under with hypnotizing YOURSELF, then how in the world are you going to get out of the trance (or whatever it's called) and come back to reality of not being under hypnosis anymore? :shrug:

·
Banned
7,802 Posts
moonwolf said:
Don't know about SELF hypnosis, and this might be a dumb question. But, if you go under with hypnotizing YOURSELF, then how in the world are you going to get out of the trance (or whatever it's called) and come back to reality of not being under hypnosis anymore? :shrug:
Auto-suggestion. You pre-program yourself. For example, when putting yourself under for a specific period of time, you can set an alarm for when you want to be fully awake and alert, and during the self-hypnosis session you tell yourself that you will wake up at (such-and-such a time) and/or when the alarm goes off, and that you will be fully awake, refreshed and alert. More often than not you will come out of the trance state a few minutes before the alarm goes off anyway - many people don't ever need to set an alarm once they've programmed themselves to come out of trance at a certain time. It's possible to auto-suggest to wake 5 minutes later or 10 hours later. If a person forgets to pre-program themself they will usually come out of trance state in a couple of hours anyways and drift off into a normal sleep pattern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What Angie said,
Looong time ago, when I was a young man, around 24-25 I was into it.
With-out drugs, by the way. self-hipnosis, bio-feedback and relaxation techniques all work together. I too have used it to get a tooth drilled after the dentist couldn't numb my tooth. It takes practice, however.
Some people master it quicker than others so you will just have to go for it and see how it works.
If you do it wright, it's a trip, and very beneficial to your health and general well being.

Good Luck,
Snuffy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts