Selenium levels...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jill.costello, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hey all,
    I'm finally feeling good about my management program for the two girls- got the loose minerals with the 2:1 calc/phos and 1800ppm copper, etc, they love their free-browse acreage and their nighttime hay, and they are as darling as can be for their little grain-treat am/pm.

I haven't been able to get good info from the ranchers, though, about the Selenium around here. Some say it all depends on how much I fertilize... well.... I don't, yet...

Anyone know if central Texas is especially poor or rich in Selenium?

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

There was a selenium map posted a month or so ago on here for the US.

I know Vicki McGaugh gives her herd regular BoSe injections and she is in Texas.....not sure which part but I think most of Texas is deficient.

Do a search for Selenium map on this forum and I'm sure you'll find it....Vicki also posted her vaccination& supplementation schedule a few weeks ago as well. You could search for that as well.

3. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

I think one of the good goat sites...Fiasco Farms or maybe Hoegger Goat supplies has a selenium map on it, I was just looking at it the other day.

4. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

5. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Generally your extension (or what it may be called in your state) can give you an idea how to get your soil tested. I think that in most states, you can get your soil tested for $2 od $4. Ask at your Co-op. They would also most likely know what the procedure is in your state.

There are probably many Selenium maps out there. I'm pretty sure that I also saw a good one in Hoeggers catalogue. Also, get to know the plants that can be Selenium accumulators.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The map in the FAQ section at dairygoatsplus.com you can search by county. The problem with using some of this information is that if you soil test or use a selenium map, the soil would have to be tested where your grain and hay is grown, or the selenium map would have to be in the county your grain or hay is grown, unless you supply your goats with 100% off your place. Also make sure the map isn't the 1957 one :)

I go of label to horse for grain and cow, horse, goat on minerals, to up my copper, and also to get higher than the allowed for sheepandgoat on selenium. Then with Bo-se injections prebreeding and prekidding, and shots to the infants as they are born, we are fine. Our does drop placentas quickly, our kids are strong and healthy, no tongues hanging out at nursing, no weakenss in extrimities, healthy multiples, and rarely singles, and when we do have twins it's mostly in young first fresheners. You can eaisly blood test and find out what your selenium level is in your own goats. But yes all of the folks I know use Bo-se routinely. Vicki