Selenium and Vitamin E?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by HesterDaddy, Mar 25, 2005.

1. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

My local feedstore only has a selenium and vitamin e supplement in the form of a crumble for horses that is dusted on feed. It contains no copper, and I'm considering using it as a boost for the nutrition of my pregnant ewe. Will this be okay? Are there any other ingredients that I should check for? What would be a recommended amount of Selenium for her?

Also, I'm noticing some small breaks in her wool. She's getting a timothy alfalfa hay mix and about 1lb of a grain mix each day. Could she be lacking vital nutrients?

Thanks!

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

One for your vet I'm sorry to say. You may not need selenium at all and it can be toxic! That there is a horse suppliment may be that horses eat alot of imported hay that is likely selenium deficient.

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

We live in a selenium deficiant area. A good friend of mine fed her mare a great deal of selenium 'enriched' products while she was pregnant. There was trouble with the foal, it eventually died. A few months later I was reading a Dick Francis mystery and darned if he didn't describe all the troubles we'd had with that foal! In the end, the mystery was solved for us as well as in the book...selenium overload! The hay should have enough selenium in it.

I've got a young ewe who's had some wool break as well, not sure why, thinking along the same lines, but like you, she's getting good quality hay and grain. Mine is bred (crossing fingers!), thinking that is playing a part as we are getting closer and the nutrition is likely going to baby.

4. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

Do your sheep have access to a mineral block?

5. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm going to hold off just a tad on the selenium and continue to watch her for a few more days. She hasn't begun to bag out, yet and I am a touch concerned about toxic level of selenium if I supplement. The breakage is small and she does have access to a mineral block.

If anyone has any additional input, please post. I learn so much from everyone here.

Thanks!
    Mark

6. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

You live only about 15 minutes from me!!What breed of sheep do you have? If I have a stress problems I give Bose shots. I keep a loose sheep mineral with kelp and soy bean meal available at all times. I have Icelandics and Lincoln and Wensledales.

Angie