Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have 4 BR toms 1BR hen and 4 NAR hens. As it stands now, the BR toms only mate the BR hen. They don't touch the NAR's.

I am going to process 3 of the 4 Toms this Fri leaving the alpha (which happens to be the biggest). I will also be processing the BR hen.

With that said, can I expect that the Tom will show interest in the NAR hens at some point? I plan on keeping eggs for hatching in the spring but if the Tom won't work his magic there will be no point.

As it stands now, all 4 toms breed the 1 BR hen. They have no interest in the others. I'm hoping when there is no other choice, the one tom will go for the others.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Are you sure that the NAR hens are really hens? One time I had an incubator malfunction and hatched out a big group of turkeys that turned out all male. The dominant one and a couple of his underlings acted like males. Only when they were gone did the others act like males. Took a while to figure out what was going on. Only time will tell, but this spring, if they are female, and he is male, he will breed them. The hens will become pretty adamant about it when they are ready, and if you don't have a gobbler they can be quite the trip hazard, because they place themselves in the path of anything that moves and squat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're hens alright. I just think my tom is a racist. I'm hoping he can cultivate his views of the world. My guts tells me with only four females, his might put on is beer goggles. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, I'm going to start to test this hypothesis tomorrow

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
No, your Narri hens are simply not interested in being bred now. In turkeys, the hens decide when they want to be bred and the tom has to stand around and wait for them to make that decision. When the Narri hens want to be bred, they'll flop down for the toms.

Right now, only the BR is interested, is all. There is nothing wrong.

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
I'm curious why you would process the BR hen, since she's the only one that can produce pure BR babies with your toms.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Be very careful!
We butchered all but 1 tom a couple of years ago and the remaining tom got depressed to the point that he died.
He wouldn't even look at his shiny new hens.
He wouldn't eat.
Just stood in the corner.
We held him and cooed over him and he would bury his head into our necks, but he wouldn't eat or anything else.

I would try separating out the groups for a while first.
Make a new flock with the ones you want to keep.

We will never do what we did that time again.
Turkeys aren't like chickens.
They bond.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts