Selecting a calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Alvary, May 20, 2005.

1. Alvary

Alvary dOn't gEt mAd, gEt EvIl.

hello everybody!

After the loss of my beautiful ayala, i'm wanting to get another calf. I'm planign on getting heaps (to raise to sell) in a few months, but i would like one now to raise for a house cow.

My question is this...My neighbour has a little jersy x fresian heifer calf. But I am stearing away from little calves now. But this one is very cute, healthy, and will be 2 weeks old when i buy it...but she will still only be about 25kg!!!

The other options are...to wait untill one of her other cows calve and buy one of those (3 have already dropped...3 bully claves!!!)
    To look else where (not knowing the conditions of the farm) and pay a bit more for the calf (my neighbour gives me a few $$$ off).

Also...what do you think is the most important? I know to be healthy, but what about perfect size? mother?

Thanks guys.
    Jessica

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Jessica,
    Unless your going to go into all the ins and outs of breeding which is hardly worth it if your just wanting a nice cow for the house, I would stick with what you know and pick up this little two week old calf. You will still have to feed her and it will be a good opportunity to establish the bond. Jersey/Friesians make for good milkers and for the most part give you the best of both breeds.

To be frank, I can't quite see why you are dithering about this one. Are her other calves going to be any better? and surely you can have a look at the mother of the one that is being offered? And what is the perfect size? Mine range from bloody big Hereford/Friesians through to a tiny little Jersey. If it were me, and I could get a few dollars off for a nice calf, I wouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Alvary

hi

thanks for that

The reson i'm not sure is that this little calf is VERY small and not as...robust as any other calf i would get. If i get a diferant calf i will have more of a chance of having it thrive.
    You may have read about Ayala...she was a jersy x freisan calf (from my neighbours) and i lost her...she probarbly would have lived if sje had have been larger and more robust.

Maybe i'm being a bit silly...but what ever i choose now will eventualy be my milking cow, so it is a big decision.

well...i'll keep an eye on this little calf and see how it goes (its only 1 week old now...she won't sell it to me untill it is 2 weeks old)

Again, thanks
    Jessica

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Jessica,
    OK, now I see your point about the calves.

I'm a sucker for anything unthrifty, small and that nobody else wants - and I usually get paid back in full by them I got given a four day old calf. She was the teensiest Friesian calf I have ever seen. She fed well but lagged behind the others in growth but when the other stopped she kept growing and turned into a huge big cow, quiet, placid, too lazy to move out of her own way - and a great producer. I sadly lost her last year to calving problems at the age of 9. So you never know.

No, I'm sorry I didn't read about your Ayala but I've lost a few of my own over the years and they're never forgotten.

You've got a week to think about this calf and I guess your able to go and see her and keep an eye on how she's progressing? Will be interested to know what your decision is going to be. :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. Alvary

well...i went around and had a look (I do every morning) and shes not looking too good.
    She was scouring yesterday...but only the 'milk to replacer' scouring. Nothing major.

But this morning its knee was all swolen and it couldn't walk. One of the other calves (a big bull calf) trod on it and injured it. :(
    So...will still wait a while.

Its funny...often smaller calves do do well. A friend of mine sold a pair of TINY twin heifers. She couldn't be bothered raising them. Both were pure fresians and healthy enough.
    They are now 3 years old and being used for embro transplanting.

*sits back and waits for her dream calf to be born*
    Jessica