seized engine "I think"

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by njhadfield, Mar 31, 2005.

1. njhadfield

njhadfield New Member

I own a full sized van doesnt matter on year and make but anyways My wife drives it all the time today she wanted me to check it when I got home it was making a very loud noise from the engine compartment kindof like a screeching and hissing sound I shut it off went inside came back out checked oil to make sure there was some and there was so I had my wife get in the van and start it. It ran for about a minute then just stopped altogether. Now it wont turn over or anything. I though the serpentine belt seemed really tight is that a possiblity or is it seized. The oil was a little low it was at the point where it says to add 1 quart and the oil hasnt been changed in awhile.

Thanks
    Nate
    Please reply or send email to njhadfield@charter.net

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Remove the serpentine belt and try it. I have seen the alt. seize and prevent the engine from turning, usually preceded by a screeching of the bearings.
    Not that it's good, but 1 qt. low shouldn't cause damage.

3. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Yep, Beeman's is good advice, it could be alternator, power steering pump, water pump or even the serpentine belt's tensioning pully seizing up.

Of course it could be something really serious inside the engine but the serpentine belt is an easy first check.

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Had that happen on my truck.Sure enough,it was a frozen alternator.

BooBoo

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

This February I had an air-conditioning compression clutch kick in. Either it or the compressor froze up and caused the sound you spoke of. I simply cut the belt and went on my merry way.