Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family barters for land use right now near Richmond VA. We crop about 5 acres but it is 25 minutes from our home. We can't farm the way we want to like this so we are looking to buy land, with or without a home on it, within 30-40 miles of Richmond. I have to work full time still to afford our farming habit so it needs to be convenient to Richmond/ Henrico County. Plus we sell our produce at Richmond Area farmers markets. We would like about 20-30 acres partially cleared and cropable. We are looking to spend under $150,000 for bare land.

We would be interested in trading our cape style home in Henrico County VA for say 20 Acres with a house in a surrounding county. Our place is worth about $182,000. We do not have extra money to add to that deal.

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
Kruizeag, finding 20 acres for that price within an hour of Richmond is going to be nearly impossible, even without a house. I'm guessing that the most likely places to look would be south of Petersburg or headed towards King & Queen or Essex Counties.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am very aware of the difficulty in finding it. I have found property in Dinnwiddie that had an old farm house in dyer need of repair for $180k. I keep finding places like that out towards Farmville too. I am hoping someone has ground they needing to or are willing to part with and are not money hungry. I know, a dream I am sure, but strange things happen.

·
The Awesome PT & Friends
2,178 Posts
Yeah, I was going to suggest looking in Dinwiddie also. Anything north of here is really expensive. Keep in mind that Dinwiddie's property tax assessments this year have doubled or tripled as well. May have to head down Nottaway or Brunswick Cty's. Good Luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about Farmville and vicinity? I am finding some places down there in my price range. Is it good soil? I hear the economy there is poor, but I still plan to sell my produce in Richmond so I am not worried about that.

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
Farmville has good land and the area is beautiful. I'd love to be in that area but DH doesn't want to be too far from his family. Definitely worth a look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.