Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I don't open unsolicited mail, it goes into the trash can at the Post Office.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's a seller's racket. The seller who might be on any sales platform such as Amazon, Ebay, Alibaba or whatever buys something from themselves then sends something super cheap by cheap USPS to a random address thereby verifying a confirmed sale. They just swap the record of the product they bought with whatever they sent out. They then sit down and write a glowing review for the product and their company and when the sales platform checks records to see if the review came from a bonifide customer, the sales record is verification and the review is authorized.
That doesn't mean the seeds or whatever have passed USDA inspection. They may indeed be clean or contaminated with disease or pests or be an invasive plant. It is after all, the cheapest thing they could mail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just realized something, this has been going for a while. A year ago I got mail for a neighbor down the road. I wasn't expecting anything like the package I saw. It said "jewel" and was from China. I'm going to have to ask her what was in that package.
They can't label them as seeds, the USDA won't allow them in. I'm surprised that the scanners didn't pick it up

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am also thinking why didn't scanners pick this up and flag it? They might be picking up the pace now, but there was a case of these seeds in our county recently. I just wish I knew what the Department of Agriculture was finding with these seeds....

·
Registered
929 Posts
Probably an invasive species, laced with another virus, or poisonous to our bee population....slowly killing their competition for world domination.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
While it’s very remote, your garbage could get spread out of the bin, the truck, the burn barrel, the county dump, or whatever and grow. The plants could be the next kudzu and in a decade we have a real mess that we can’t clean up.

frankly I understand, it’s just as likely the postal service drops the package out a window as they drive and it gets spread when you try to mail it in to the authorities.

Ran into this meme of it today, I mean it as humor not as a political stance. Ok I hope.

Paul

·
Registered
211 Posts
That sounds kinda over the top paranoid/control-freaky to me
Not really. They go into the landfill and sprout. Or they go into a waste water stream and sprout. Or someone just tosses them in the bushes and they sprout.

Seems simple enough to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exactly right. Why would you take the chance? Every last invasive has come from China, Japan and Korea. Mostly due to import hitchhiking. Bugs, plants, etc.
Now, people are homebound and bored and gardening is the in thing. This is directly targeted to the public with too much time and zero common sense. The USDA wants the packages. Simply put...
Don't be THAT (person)

·
Premium Member
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
When I was in English class our teacher loved H D Thoreau. We read a short of his and had to expound upon it.

in it he talked about the pheasants.

I pointed out that ringtail pheasants are not native to North America, and actually were First introduced a couple years after those passages were supposed to have taken place.

well, I guess I was picking on his hero, as my comments were kind of dismissed and we all moved on.

I was smiling inside tho.

Paul

41 - 60 of 67 Posts