Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,546 Posts
Made the news in Dallas this morning. Don't plant and wash your hands.

·
Premium Member
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just heard on another forum, these are bean seeds and grow very very large and tall. And only sent to people named Jack.

I thought that was funny.

Since this deal is over 2 weeks old, I’m curious about how secret any info is on it. It shouldnt take a plant scientist very long to identify the seeds, are they all the same or is it many various types of seed being sent out. One would think that would be available info by now. Frustrating.

hope it doesn’t go like the drones flying over centers USA a few months ago, where no info is released and swept under the rug.

Paul

·
Premium Member
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'd be one of those idiots planting the seeds. Just saying, I'm too curious to help myself
as a farmer I’m horrified that some plant disease or invasive plant could so easily be spread.......

as a fellow human being, I totally and completely understand what you are saying! Yes, I know I would be very curious.....

paul

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Not sure I can find it again but I just read an article that they've got a scam going to raise their stars on Amazon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
as a farmer I’m horrified that some plant disease or invasive plant could so easily be spread.......

as a fellow human being, I totally and completely understand what you are saying! Yes, I know I would be very curious.....

paul
I guess you could mitigate (but by no means eliminate) potential problems by sprouting the seeds inside

·
Registered
133 Posts
Brushing Scheme Scroll down it explains how this benefits a seller on Amazon.
From the article:
"An invasive plant species might not sound threatening, but these small invaders could destroy Texas agriculture," Miller said in the release. The Texas Department of Agriculture "has been working closely with USDA to analyze these unknown seeds so we can protect Texas residents.”

So they can do it, but we can't. Somehow, I'm unsurprised.

·
Premium Member
23,628 Posts
I'd be one of those idiots planting the seeds. Just saying, I'm too curious to help myself
I am glad to hear it's not just me. I've got a real nice indoor set-up with nothing in it right now.

And I wonder if these seeds could be any worse than the other stuff the US govt purposefully imported. Kudzu, multiflora rose and Russian olive for example.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Trucking and shipping plants and animals around the world is unnatural and an affront to nature.
It's not nice to fool with mother nature.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Trucking and shipping plants and animals around the world is unnatural and an affront to nature.
It's not nice to fool with mother nature.
Declarative statements like that are an affront to rationality. What qualifications do you possess to decide what is unnatural? What moral compass do you possess that decides what is an affront to nature?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,462 Posts
I wonder if it was an affront to nature when early man wandered across what current humans call the Bering Strait?

Reactions: Wolf mom

·
Premium Member
23,628 Posts
People have been moving plants and animals since people have wandered the earth. Sometimes good things happen (the majority of our everyday food was imported originally) sometimes bad stuff happens (Zebra mussels, Emerald Ash Borer, kudzu, etc).

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am glad to hear it's not just me. I've got a real nice indoor set-up with nothing in it right now.

And I wonder if these seeds could be any worse than the other stuff the US govt purposefully imported. Kudzu, multiflora rose and Russian olive for example.
Exactly!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
M, nothing wrong with being offended at the movement of animals and plants from A to B.
But you may want to check the origins of those items inside of your own house in between posts of outrage.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
M, nothing wrong with being offended at the movement of animals and plants from A to B.
But you may want to check the origins of those items inside of your own house in between posts of outrage.
I agree. There have been some good things but when it goes bad it's very very bad.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure I can find it again but I just read an article that they've got a scam going to raise their stars on Amazon.
I've seen the same thing speculated several times. Makes as much sense as anything else.

Since this deal is over 2 weeks old, I’m curious about how secret any info is on it. It shouldnt take a plant scientist very long to identify the seeds, are they all the same or is it many various types of seed being sent out. One would think that would be available info by now. Frustrating.
Paul
I've seen a LOT of people saying they're Morning Glory seeds, but nothing official from any source yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How about covid19? Hows that workin out for ya? Avian flu? swine flu?

Numerous diseases were brought to the Americas, including smallpox, bubonic plague, chickenpox, cholera, the common cold, diphtheria, influenza, malaria, measles, scarlet fever, sexually transmitted diseases, typhoid, typhus, tuberculosis, and pertussis.
Native American disease and epidemics - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Native_American_disease_an...
What does that have to do with this discussion?? I guess I'm failing to understand what any of these maladies have to do with seeds mailed from China or anywhere else. Could you please fill me in on that real quick? Or is this just another snow storm?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts